Monday, April 27, 2020

Here, Birdies!

I checked the Hummingbird Migration Map online this morning and, following the note in my Audubon Bird ID book, made some birdie juice and hung up the feeder.  Realistically I won't see a hummingbird until the lilacs bloom which will be a while but I can't take the risk that a hummingbird will arrive to find no nectar.




That was the big item on today's to-do list but while I was making the nectar I noticed that the kitchen floor was dirty so I fired up the Swiffer and cleaned it.





And that's really all I did today.  The gray drizzle made me feel blah so I just sat around, read a little, knitted a little, felt sorry for myself a little. 


 

This robin had a big time in the birdbath today.  It was evidently really feeling dirty because it kept ducking into the water and splashing all over.  I love watching the birds bathe.






 
The sun came out late this afternoon to dry the street and warm things up in time for the sunset.  It's supposed to rain again tomorrow into Wednesday (oh, joy) and then warm up for the weekend.  Up to 70 and sunny for the weekend!  Of course it's supposed to drop back into the middle 50s next week.  This yo-yo weather is so annoying.


27 April--Bully.  

Walking down the road
wind pushes at my back
like a bully in a school hallway.
Leaves skitter by,
leftovers from last autumn,
scrape the pavement like claws.
Pale clouds torn
by the wind
into tatters of gray.
Hurry home
before the rain.
~~~~~

I'm determined not to be blah (or beige) tomorrow.  I'll bundle up and go downstairs and sew, that always cheers me up.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I hear you in the "blah" department. Your cure of going downstairs to sew is probably better than my antidote of going on eBay to shop. Glad you were using Lysol (or something like that) to clean the floor and not injecting it to ward off Covid19! Fingers crossed you see a very early hummingbird. It could happen.

Today's poem:

T'was a tough year; but what can I say. We made it through, day by day.