Saturday, April 11, 2020

Farmer's Market

The business association in my neighborhood has a small twice-monthly farmer's market in a corner of a mall parking lot and today was the day.  I've had a hankering for fresh mushrooms for a couple weeks so I went early to be there because the mushrooms sell out right away.  A pound of them came home with me and got sauteed in two batches for ease of use.


I also stopped at another stall selling fresh beef and bison meat for a 4-pack of beef burgers.  Because there's just me and it'd be silly to fire up the grill for one burger, I grilled all four of them this evening.  I put some sauteed mushrooms on a burger on a sandwich thin and spread a Laughing Cow wedge of Swiss on the bun for a mushroom Swiss burger that was to die for.  In thanks for helping me finish raking I bought the renters their weekly growler and got my half-pint share so I had a bit with my burger.  With a little cucumber salad it was a lovely supper.



This morning I was excited to see a woodpecker on the suet.  Well, not the whole woodpecker.  Can you see the little V of black and white feathers below the suet feeder?  That's all I saw of him but I knew what it was so I took the picture.




 

Some varmint has been nibbling off the daffodil heads so I picked all the open ones this morning and also picked a skinny hyacinth flower stalk.  Even with only two little flowers it smells amazing.



I was paging through my WW binder of recipes and came across this one.  It's Apple Fries with Creamy PB Dip.  I wasn't going to go to the trouble of cutting the apple into sticks when I could just make a lot of slices and not waste any apple.  The dip is PB powder mixed with water, honey, and plain yogurt with cinnamon sprinkled on top.  Oh, such a treat.  I think next time I'll make it with chocolate PB powder.  That should be good, don't you think? (I get the PB powder in the PB dept. at Meijer but you can order it from Amazon too.)





This afternoon I drove across town to a park across from the university so I could look at the bay but the park was closed so I kept going up the shore and found a small county park that let me get down by the water.  Not too close because there were trees, underbrush, and big rocks but close enough to hear the water and see the pelicans.  I was feeling a little cabin fever-ish and thought a drive might help.  It did.




11 April--Pepper.  

Indian Tellicherry Peppercorns,
dark and dignified,
stand next to Salt
ready to be ground
to powder.
Spice to chase away
the blahs.
~~~~~

It was such a gorgeous day, sunny and mild with just a little breeze, and by tomorrow afternoon we're supposed to have rain, sleet, and snow by Monday morning.  Ugh.  It's just not fair.  The only good thing is that we're supposed to be social distancing, staying home, and that weather is stay-at-home weather for sure.  I'll be glad to Facetime instead of visit in rain or snow or sleet or whatever's on the way.  Ack. Ack. Ack.

Oh, I got all of the FL face masks in the mail today so they should be winging their way by tomorrow.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

Your mushrooms, hamburgers, apple snack all look and sound delicious. And the photo of the flowers looks good enough to eat! Glad you could get out for a little breath of fresh air and a glimpse of the water. Nice picture through the trees.

Aunt B said...

Almost forgot an Easter poem! Praising the Lord from the comfort of home.

Christ the Lord is Risen Today. Hallelujah!!!