Tuesday, April 21, 2020

One More

 
This morning I picked a few more daffodils to replace the ones that wilted and found one with yet another different center.  This one's orange with pale yellow petals.  It's amazing how many variations of daffodils I have in that small space.










A mourning dove sat on the birdbath long enough to have its picture taken today.  Usually they're on the ground, blending into the gray patio or the winter-brown grass but this one posed for me.  Now that the grass is greening (even though it was in the 30s again today with a chilly wind) the doves stand out a bit more.



Speaking of the birdbath, there was ice on it again today.  It's the third week of April, I think it's about time for the ice to be gone until late autumn.


I spent most of the middle of the day working on that old manuscript.  I'm about a day away from having to print it out again and then go back to the beginning and retyping it.  JB calls it "re-keying," she says it's a good way to beef up a manuscript.  This one needs a lot of beefing up, a lot more words, since I've got just about 39k words and need no fewer than 80k.  I have a lot of work to do.


Late this afternoon I decided to make scones.  I've never made them before but my knitting friend BB shared her "easy" recipe with me and I had all of the ingredients, so off I went.  My oven is slow so I had to bake them a few more minutes and I was afraid that they'd be over-baked (overcooking seems to be a theme around here lately) but they're just fine.  Instead of the mini chocolate chips, which I don't have, I stirred in an equal amount of dried cranberries.  Yum.  I shared a couple with the neighbors and will share more with DS and his family because I can't have too many of them hanging around for me to eat.  I've been doing very well sticking to WW and don't want to halt the progress I've made.


21 April--Tart.  

Pink blossoms in spring
become red fruits
nestled among chartreuse leaves
picked and pitted
for tart-sweet
cherry pies.
~~~~~

One of these times I'll come up with a long poem.  I have nine more tries to write something with more than twenty words.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Every picture today is praise-worthy. The close-up of the daffodil might be my favorite; but then there's the dove - truly posing and looking right at me. And I could actually see that ice on the birdbath. Photographic proof that it's still too cold up there. Then the scones!! Delish looking. Definitely not over-baked.

Today's poem:

Grocery shopping - today's task. But being a good girl and wearing a mask.