Thursday, April 9, 2020

Finches

Today I was so excited to see a pair of bright yellow goldfinches on the thistle feeder way back by the fence.  I was also excited that my camera took a clear photo all the way across the yard.




This pair of house finches had a time eating on the wildly swinging platform feeder.  It was chilly and windy today, so windy that there were small craft warnings.  I didn't even know that the ice on the bay was out enough for boats.



 


Speaking of windy and chilly, we had hail.  Hail!  Enough that the grass was nearly covered and windy enough that it was falling almost horizontally.  It melted on the pavement but stuck to the grass and the birdie tree.  Needless to say, the birdies were smart and stayed away until it stopped.  We had all the weather today--sun, rain, wind, hail, and snow--a festival of weather on a Thursday in April.




Well, I think I'm done making masks for a while.  I thought I had two more to sew today but I had four more.  Those bigger, formed masks take me about an hour to make but I like that they have the nose wire in them so that they can be adjusted so your glasses don't fog up when you wear it.  And no I didn't come close to using up all of Mom's double-fold bias tape.  Not even close. I'm waiting on boxes from the post office to be delivered so I can mail them easily from home to my far-flung relatives in the Sunshine State.



Today's prompt really stumped me.  I tried to get words on the page this afternoon, after supper, and finally managed when I sat down here an hour ago.  Sometimes words are stubborn.


09 April--Dish.  

A handle-less china cup,
gold rim rubbed away in places,
nosegay painted on the side,
lived in the flour canister,
measured out for bread dough,
for pie crust,
for cookies.
An old tea cup
that scooped up love 
in Grandma's soft old hand.
~~~~~

This evening DD texted and invited me to her stitch 'n bitch on Zoom so I downloaded the app, figured out how to sign on, and went to a knit night in the comfort of my living room.  It was wonderful to be with a bunch of knitters for an hour.  I'd have stayed longer but my phone battery ran out.  I've already figured out how to join in on my laptop so if I get invited again I can: a) see everyone and 2) stay longer.  Thanks, DD, it was great!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Thanks for the professional looking masks coming our way. I'm venturing out today with a homemade number but only to the grocery store. My list is a mile long and I might be lucky and get half the stuff on it. Great pictures -- especially the beautiful finches. Since it's poetry month:

Stuck at home? Write a poem!

That's my contribution but it doesn't hold a candle to yours. You waited for just the right words to describe that "Dish."