Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Blooming!

My bulbs are blooming.  The daffodils are opening a few at a time.  Since something ate the first couple I decided to pick them once I took their picture.




Right next to them the dwarf hyacinths are beginning to bloom.  The full size ones are sending up thin stalks with one or two flowers.  I don't know what's up with that.



 
The Stella d'Oro daylilies I planted last fall are starting to pop up along the top of the retaining wall.  It's about time for me to go out with gloves and a bin to clear out all of last year's dried flowers and leaves but I heard that it's supposed to cool down into the 40s for the next few days so I'll leave them until the next warm snap.


Many years ago I was given a shovelful of blue squills by my sister-in-law's mom.  She promised that they'd spread out to make a carpet of leaves and flowers.  They haven't or if they have it's at a glacial pace.  These shelter under the still dormant lilac bush that got half-buried under the snow from the parking lot behind the house.  I'll be having words with them before next winter.  There's a lot of gravel and parking lot schmutz under the lilac and I don't like it.



I cut out more masks today.  I've been getting requests from more family members so I'm making more.  What else have I got to do?



I stared at the daffodils I picked and thought how beautiful they are so I took some shots of them.  I even managed to remember which is the close-up setting on my camera so that the depth of focus is real shallow making the background nice and blurry.




07 April--Dictionary.   

Words, words, words,
a whole big book full
of words.
Almost any word
you'd want to use
tucked between the pages.
Take them out
of alphabetical order,
make them dance
to your tune.
Come on,
I dare you.
~~~~~

It was so nice today I was able to deliver a couple masks and not have to wear a coat.  That won't be the case tomorrow or for the next few days.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow and then cool down, like 20 degrees cool down.  Ugh.  Of course, it's going to be chilly and damp, Sunday is Easter.  Not that anyone's going to church or to Grandma's for a family feast but it should be nice on Easter so the Bunny can make his rounds in comfort.  LC was worried that the Easter Bunny would bring baskets here for them that they couldn't get but I assured her that I'd write a note to the Bunny so that there'd be extra things in their at-home baskets.  This Bunny had already taken care of the problem.  I'm way ahead of the game.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That thing you learned to do with your camera is wonderful. All the pictures are spectacular and so welcome at this dreary time. Especially that last one. You are one clever MeeMaw to be ahead of the Easter Bunny. And you're earning stars in your crown making masks. Thank you a thousand times over.