Thursday, October 27, 2022

Made It!

My goal this afternoon was to edit out those last 51 words from Ham and Honey, the chapter from Better Than Mom's that I've turned into a short story to submit it to a contest. I did it--and then some! I read it aloud after I finished and the story still hangs together, I think. I was hoping that I could read it at the writer's group meeting I'm going to on Tuesday but it's 10 minutes long and they've got a 5 minute limit. I think I'll ask a writing friend if I can email it to them and have them give me a little critique. The submission deadline is November 8 so I have a little time.



I was surprised and amazed to see a Stella d'Oro lily blooming up on the retaining wall this morning. We've had some really frosty nights lately, it was only 30 degrees at 8:30 this morning. Brr. So it was very special to see a flower still blooming. Good thing it had its day because in the morning the landscapers are coming to do fall clean-up and that means they'll cut everything back to the ground so bye bye flowers.


The next thing in Sketching was to draw an old TV with a caricature of a newscaster on it. Then I decided to try my hand at drawing OJ. It's not nearly as handsome as he is in real life but I tried.



I went down to the library this morning to sort books and was faced with tables full of boxes and bags of books. I did what I could in a hour but I barely made a dent. The boxes in the back along the walls are the already sorted books, the bags and boxes in the foreground are the ones that need sorting.


After supper I knitted on the Ara Cashmere Cap 3 and got about halfway to the crown decreases.


I spent a couple hours out blowing and raking leaves this afternoon. The battery of the leaf blower doesn't last long enough to get the job done so I do it in stages. I've got the batteries plugged into the charger and will do more tomorrow. I'll eventually get done, it'll just take me a few days. *shrug*

I didn't find anything to toss today, not at home anyway. I tossed a lot of musty books at the library and few not suitable for public consumption. Ish.

And I stared at a blank screen for an hour or so before I just jumped in and wrote something that's terrible and won't make it into Better Than Mom's but I'm determined to keep plugging away because next Tuesday is November 1 and that's the first day of NaNoWriMo so I need to be ready to write my little fingers to the bone. 1,667 words a day, a good 5 pages of writing and that's no mean feat, especially when you have no clue what you're going to write.

--Barbara

No comments: