Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Ice! Wind!

That was today. When I opened the drapes over the patio door this morning the birdbath was iced over. I took a picture to prove it and you can see how irregular the surface of it is. That shows how windy it has been for the last day or so. I was going to take a walk this afternoon because it was sunny but the wind was blowing a gale (no, really, there were gale warnings on the bay) and the trees were flailing around so I decided to stay indoors and not blow away.



I was surprised again to see another Stella d'Oro lily open up on top of the retaining wall. It's barely open as if it can't believe that it's blooming in this cold but bloom it did.


Today's daily art page showed a series of boxes that I was supposed to practice patterns and mark making in. I used my brush pens and markers to fill the boxes and I really like the way they turned out. Most of them, anyway. It was a fun exercise.



In Sketching he said to draw a cereal box but I decided to draw my yogurt, fruit, and granola breakfast instead. I didn't have toast but wanted to draw more so that's what I drew. My toaster has one long slot instead of two shorter side by side slots.


I am constantly amazed that the Sparrows bathe no matter how cold it is. I dumped out the old water and ice and installed the birdbath heater this afternoon so this little birdie stopped by for a splash. It feels early to be having to put the heater in but it's supposed to get near to 70 this weekend. Maybe then I'll get the last mowing done. I've been waiting out the rain, drizzle, and cold wind for my chance.

 


This Goldfinch, dressed in his winter drab feathers, stayed far away from the splashing and cavorting in the birdbath. Smart.


Today's toss was a spring jacket that I never wear. I know it's the wrong season to send it to Goodwill but I got tired of looking at it. Out it goes!

I spent an hour or so writing this afternoon and managed to get about 700 words on the page. Yay!

--Barbara

No comments: