Monday, August 29, 2022

That One Little Hummingbird

I looked up from reading a book to see a tiny blur leave the nectar feeder. For a minute I felt sorry that I'd missed a sight of a Hummingbird but I took a chance and looked at the (dead) honeysuckle and there she was. I grabbed the camera and got a picture of one of those tiny little birds that's usually in constant motion. Woohoo!



Another time I glanced up and saw a Woodpecker on the suet cakes. It isn't a Downy, I think it might be a Hairy Woodpecker but I never got a really good look at it because it was bent around the corner pecking away. This bird is paler than any other woodpecker I've seen and it's head is a pale gray or white. Not sure what kind it is. I'll have to page through the bird ID book(s).


The next page in the 3-D book was the beginning of Chapter "Q" so I drew five Qs. It's getting easier to draw them now that I'm three-quarters of the way through the alphabet.



I watched a chipmunk under the tube feeder and thought "I can draw one of those" so I tried. If only the darned thing had held still a little longer I'd have gotten the head better. Now that I think of it I should have snapped a picture. Oh well, it was fun to draw and color it.


I decided that I have to be more strict with snacking so I bought pretzels, reduced fat Cheez-Its, and M&Ms that I spent the afternoon counting out into 2 point packets. Makes it a whole lot less easy to overserve myself.



After supper I knitted some on my sock. I think I've added another inch but it's definitely slower going than the last sock. I sorted through my bag of FOs (Finished Objects) and bagged up the Seamen's Church Institute Christmas at Sea hats and the few toe caps I've knitted to deliver to my friend LB. She'll ship off the hats and take the caps to her ortho guy's office. I threw in a little moolah for shipping and gas money.


Today's toss was a few metal circular knitting needles that I won't be using anymore. I don't really like metal needles, they're too slippery for my taste, I like wood or bamboo better.

It was hot and steamy today so I didn't go out and mow. I thought about it but fortunately a friend called in the late afternoon and distracted me from mowing. It's supposed to be a little cooler and a lot less humid tomorrow so that's my target.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Lucky you -- and us -- to get to see the tiny hummingbird at rest. Rare occurrence. You're very disciplined in the snack department. I try to be that way at lunchtime when I limit myself to only two Hershey's Kisses. But sometimes I do cheat and have an extra one. They are just toooooo good!