Monday, August 15, 2022

Flat Squirrel

 I looked out the patio doors and saw that this squirrel had flattened itself in the shade of the birdseed cans. Why? Is it cooler in the shade? Does the squirrel have a hot belly that needs cooling off? I don't know. Sometimes I see them flattened out on top of the retaining wall or the fence in back and they're not shady. Maybe it's just a thing that squirrels do.



I was lucky enough to snap this picture of a Goldfinch today. There was a male and female that landed on the top of a couple crooks for just a minute or so and I got lucky. They don't come around very often and don't stay long when they do. I do like the smooth yellow and black look of them.


The next figure in The 15-Minute Artist was Luscious Lips. Meh. It was an okay thing to draw.



Next in 10-Steps: Everyday Things was this scissors and spools of thread. It's funny, I look at my drawing and it looks fine, then I look at the picture and see that the blades of the scissors aren't straight. Oh well, I'm pleased with the way it turned out anyway.


Today's watercolor is one of the rusty red day lilies that I think might be my best lily effort so far. I'm pleased with the way the background turned out, it isn't as messy as past paintings, and the flower is pretty good too.



I finished the cuff of the True North sock tonight while I watched Encanto (thanks, DD!) so that I can talk intelligently about it with LC and OJ. We were supposed to watch the movie together at Titletown Park a couple weeks ago but I was reluctant to be in a crowd the weekend before my first surgery so I declined the invitation.  Anyway, now I'll just knit knit knit around and around until the leg of the sock is 6 3/4" long when it will be time to knit the heel. I remembered how to scan in a pattern and put it in Dropbox so that I can access it on my iPad in Knit Companion. (I felt so smart!) That way when it's time to do the heel flap and turn I'll have a digital copy instead of an old-fashioned paper copy. It's easier to count rows on Knit Companion than on paper with a row counter alongside.


This afternoon I went to the grocery for the ingredients I need to make a batch of Farro Salad for this weekend's knitting-at-CS's-cabin with friends. I'll make it on Thursday so that the flavors can meld. It's so yummy. One of the hardest ingredients to find is fresh basil which always amazes me but I found some so my list is complete. Now I can make the salad extra good.

--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

Never seen a squirrel like that. I'd have thought he was dead! But Harry used to do that to cool off so maybe that's what they do. But only in the shade -- not on top of your wall. Glad you snapped the picture -- and also the one of the goldfinch. Pretty.

emma nell said...

When an animal lies belly flat it is known as heat dumping or splooting. Isn't that a wonderful word?