Monday, August 22, 2022

Birdies

Today was a birdie day at the feeders, not that I got pictures of all the birds that came, but I saw a lot of different ones. I did get a picture of the Cardinal that hogged the platform feeder, fending off a pair of House Finches that tried to share.



And the female Hummingbird came to the nectar feeder and then sat on the crook for a minute or so giving me a chance to take her picture. I didn't manage to get a picture of the Bluejay or the Goldfinch. They didn't stay very long, flew off before I got the camera up to my eye.


Today is the first day of Investment Cooking week. I waited to go to the grocery until just after lunch because I learned the hard way that Monday morning the shelves are a bit sparse but get stocked by afternoon. I spent about $20 more on supplies than last time but I also pulled out eight recipes instead of seven. Late in the afternoon I put together the first of the eight recipes, Chicken Burrito Bowls. I splurged on chicken tenders that I sprinkled with a spice mix and cooked in the microwave before cutting into bite-size pieces and assembling the bowls with chicken, black beans, corn, and brown rice. Before serving they get topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a couple spoonfuls of salsa. Yummy! And only 2 WW points per serving. They're supposed to have cauliflower lime rice but it's a pain to make and I like real rice better.

 


The next figure in the 3-D book was this foot and mouse. I don't know how this fits into Lesson "P" but it was fun to draw.

 

Next in 10-Steps: Nature was a raccoon. It turned out pretty well, I think. I didn't have the colored pencils in the right shades of gray but managed with light blue and darker gray. 



And finally the next page in 10-Steps: Everyday Things was this succulent in a pot. It's a little cockeyed but I think it looks okay.


Today's watercolor is my two favorite small people. This is the second painting I did today. I spilled water on the first one and ruined it so I tossed it and started over. I'll try the landscape, lakescape again tomorrow. Maybe. If I'm not too busy cooking.

 

I didn't find anything to toss today but I did go out and fill the feeders. I also ended up having to cut off both ends of the watering hose because I couldn't pull it through underground. I guess having CG bury it when he built the retaining wall and had to redo part of the lawn wasn't the greatest idea. Oh well, I can buy another hose.

-Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That cardinal looks pretty threatening. No wonder the other birds flew away. Your raccoon looks mean too but they've always got that look about them. Kinda scary. Sounds like you'll be cooking a lot but your burrito bowls look very tempting.