Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Poppies!

Okay, one poppy has bloomed on the side of the house but there are a bunch of buds ready to pop. I love finding the shed pieces of the bud cases. They look like giant's toenails, all green-y brown and fuzzy.



A Downy Woodpecker visited the suet for a second and then moved down to the tube feeder. I was surprised that she didn't stay on the suet pellets but popped over to the seeds. There must be plenty bugs for them to eat for protein.


One of the Stella d'Oro lilies is opening up flowers on one stalk. None of the others have joined in yet.



The next drawing in the 3-D book was Leering Lasagna. I get the feeling that the author/illustrator was in a slump when he got to the middle of the alphabet. I hope that the drawings in the rest of the book are a little more interesting. I have to keep reminding myself that this book is aimed at middle school age kids so it makes sense that I find some of the drawings extremely silly.


I couldn't resist trying my hand at painting the French Irises. And I used the artist's tape but made sure that the painting was dry before peeling it off. That worked. Maybe the past paintings weren't dry enough for the tape to come off cleanly. I need to press it down, make sure I overshoot the corners with the tape, and let the paint dry before peeling it off. I need to figure this out because I have 3 rolls of artist's tape to use up.



One of the squirrels rediscovered the suet pellets today. They've been leaving them alone lately but this one couldn't resist the lure of the suet and fake orange flavoring.


Today I took the Pack & Play and the highchair down to Once Upon A Child to sell to them. They gave me $35! I was impressed and grateful.

I planted the coleus this morning, swept the leaves and birdseed hulls off the patio, and cleaned the birdbath. I'm trying to spruce the place up for Lala's visit this coming weekend. I put fresh sheets on the guest bed too. I'm nice like that.

--Barbara


1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That poppy does make a statement. And I love the Lasagna staging their escape. Glad you figured out how to use that painters tape. Sounds like you made an investment on it.