Sunday, August 8, 2021

Rain Delay

I was going to meet my friend in Waupaca tomorrow afternoon but there are bands of storms crossing the state today and tomorrow so she changed her camping reservation to start on Tuesday so that's when I'll go.  Of course for most of today it was sunny but along about suppertime it got dark and the storms blew through, blew being the operative word.  It was really windy for a short time and the rain came down in sheets.  Glad she wasn't in her tent for that.


Dad's rose bloomed and no Japanese Beetles came to eat up the flower petals.  Hooray!



 

A single Stella d'Oro lily bloomed today along the whole 110 ft. of retaining wall.  Just one.


 

When I was out taking its picture I noticed that the last day lily in the row isn't the same as the red ones or the tall, old fashioned ones.  It's red-orange and slightly different that your run-of-the-mill tiger lily.



Two Downy Woodpeckers came to the feeders this morning, one on the suet pellets and the other on the platform feeder.  The one on the platform feeder waited its turn on the pellets, it didn't eat any of the seeds.  I guess woodpeckers don't eat seeds.


The usual visitors to the tube feeder are the juvenile Sparrows.  Every once in a while a male Sparrow stops but most of the time all four perches are filled with these boring tan birds.


Today's toss was another knitting book.  I'm not using them so why am I keeping them?  I'm keeping the basic books and letting go of the ones that I know I won't knit anything from.  Someone else should get the pleasure of them.

The prompt today said that a child asks for a story about a green giant that lives in a cave and is lonely.  I named my giant Hal and gave him a child named Joe to save from being lost.  They're each afraid at the beginning but end up being pals.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Ah, that rose! It does look good enough to eat but glad the beetles aren't around. Nice picture of the sparrows -- even if you think they're boring. I think they're cute, especially one for each perch.