Monday, August 23, 2021

A New Bird

I was surprised to see a different bird swoop down and land on the birdbath this morning.  First two Bluejays left the suet pellets when I opened the drapes and then this brown bird with a black throat and a red swipe on the back of its head came in for a landing.  It's a Flicker.  A kind of woodpecker that mostly hangs out on the ground and has a white patch where its tail joins the body.  It kind of flickers when it flies.  I'm guessing that's where the name comes from.  I noticed that it has a long thin beak, good for poking around for insects.



Then when I was doing yoga the male Hummingbird flew by and hovered over the nectar feeder but didn't land.  Later on the female Hummingbird came and was nearly scared away by a bee that was on the feeder too but it avoided the bee and landed on the side where I could see it.  Hooray!


I noticed yesterday when I was mowing that there was crab grass growing in the front flower bed so I went out to weed (and feed the skeeters) when I also saw that the purple mum is blooming again.  This time I'm leaving it.  It's close enough to September and they're selling mums at the grocery store so I'm letting it live.  The other mums have buds on them too so I guess it's about time.



I was hoping for a beautiful sunset tonight since there were clouds for the colors to paint but it was kind of a disappointment.  There were shreds of clouds that were pink and peach and they don't show up like they do in the sky but I'm putting it on here anyway.  I think all the bird and flower pictures gets boring.


Today's toss was... oh my god, I know I tossed something because I marked it off on my to-do list but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

The prompt today said that there was a person in the city park without a memory of who they were, had multiple denominations of money in their pocket, had on a warm coat, and had tattoos.  Where did they come from and who were they?  Oh, that was easy.  The person was a sailor from an oceangoing freighter that had anchored at one of the docks on the river.  One of the things that I've always liked about living here is that ships from all over the world come here so our little city is an ocean port, so it makes sense that a sailor would be wandering around in a city park.

I spent part of yesterday and today bingeing Grace and Frankie on Netflix.  I'm only on Season 2 and wonder why I ever stopped watching it, it's so good.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Sounds like you've found two new friends -- Grace and Frankie. When I mentioned that show to one of my bridge friends, she said she wouldn't watch it because of Jane Fonda's political activism during the Vietnam war! Too bad she's missing out on a very funny show.