Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Back From (Sorta) Camping

I went to the campground.  I even sat by a campfire.  But I was not camping.  Lala slept in her tent, I went to a motel to sleep.  It was so hot and so humid I don't know how she slept.  I was fine in the air conditioning.  😉

Yesterday morning I drove down to meet Lala in Waupaca, about an hour away.  She was just setting up her new tent and getting her campsite organized.  All around her site were these
knee-high plants with these pretty yellow flowers dangling from them.  I don't know what they are but aren't they pretty?



We decided to take a walk and found this little stream burbling alongside the trail.  It was a nice, wide trail so we weren't walking through tall grass or brush so didn't have to worry about ticks.  We were in the shade but there also wasn't much of a breeze.  Hot and humid.


 

In the afternoon we took a stern-wheeler boat tour of the Chain of Lakes.  Despite our hopes, the boat was too slow to make much of a breeze and the sun beat down on the upper deck so about halfway through Lala and I decided to stop stressing our sunblock and retire to the lower deck.  All of the windows were open so there was a slight breeze but at least we were in the shade.  We made the executive decision to have an early supper in the restaurant at the marina rather than go back to the campsite to make a fire and cook our brats on sticks.  It was just too hot and the restaurant was air conditioned.  Ahh.  I had a pesto and chicken flatbread which was delicious and not too pricey for a resort area restaurant.



This morning it cooled down to 70 degrees so Lala texted that she was making a fire and to come back if I wanted to.  I wanted to.  She made a nice fire and we got out the toasting forks, each of us speared a bratwurst, and we had brats for breakfast.  Yum.  Not very Weight Watcher-y but delicious.



Today's toss was a camisole tank top that I took along to wear in the heat but it was way too big and looked terrible.  Luckily I had another top with me, just in case.  I don't know why I thought that tops that fit me 65 pounds ago would still fit.  They don't.  Out they go, one at a time.

The prompt today asked what is the worst that could happen.  Losing one of my children or grandchildren.  I don't know how people survive that.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your little overnight sounds perfect. Well, except for the heat. You were wise to opt for the a/c motel. And it didn't rain! Always a plus. My junking outing with three friends yesterday was fun too. We all bought something. My "find" is a darling little music box now residing on my nightstand. Too cute to resist.