Saturday, August 7, 2021

Back To One At A Time

I had high hopes that one of the Stella d'Oro lilies would have three flowers blooming on it and there were three flowers out there this morning only it was one each on three plants.  Ah well, can't have everything, I guess.



I was lucky enough to see a Hummingbird on the feeder this afternoon just before the sprinkles ramped up to become rain.  I often wonder how those tiny birds manage to fly in the rain.  They're so small and light I imagine that a big raindrop could knock them out of the sky.



Either one Downy Woodpecker came to the feeders a bunch of times today or a bunch of them came once each.  It seemed like every time I looked out there was a Downy on either the suet pellets or the suet cakes.  Only once did I notice the red swipe on the back of the head that signals a male, the rest were either female or this year's juveniles.



When the woodpecker left the suet pellets one of the squirrels leaped up to take its place.  I can't imagine how they manage to get enough of the suet through the little squares in the mesh to make it worth their while but evidently they can because they're persistent and the level of the pellets decreases through the day.


The bully Cardinal came to the platform feeder this morning.  A lot of people think that Cardinals are the embodiment of people that have passed on but I think that they're just too crabby for that.  Maybe it's me that's too crabby for the idea.



I sat listening to an audiobook this afternoon while I finished knitting Gramma's Favorite dishcloth.  One of these days I'll figure out how to keep that last corner from stretching out of shape.  This is why even a dishcloth needs blocking, I guess.  Or maybe just a run through the washer and dryer will square it up.  I imagined that this dishcloth would match the previous one but it's quite a bit bigger.  Maybe the next one will match.


Today's toss was a trio of knitting books.  One of them is a duplicate and the other two are a technique that I'm no good at.

The prompt today said to write a ballad in country and western style.  I tried, I really did, but it's pretty crappy.

I'm hoping that the weather gets the rain out of its system tonight and tomorrow morning because I'm planning to drive to Waupaca on Monday to meet a friend who is camping for a couple nights.  I'm not camping, I have a motel room, but we'd like to make a fire to cook brats on sticks for supper and to sit around the fire in the evening and rain would ruin that plan.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your "camping" trip sounds fun and I'll keep my fingers crossed that rain stays away. I'm hoping for a sunny day Wednesday because I'm taking three friends with me for a bit of "junking" around town. They're curious about my favorite hobby!!