Friday, July 28, 2023

Thunder and Rain

We're having it right now. I hope it rains all night because everything is so dry but I know that it won't. I just looked at the radar and there's a green, yellow, and red glob over Green Bay but it's moving so the rain will move away. But I guess any rain is good rain.


There's another rose blooming on Dad's rose bush and there are three little, totally green buds nestled around it. I went out to look at the rose today because I saw that the Botanical Garden guy posted a video on how to deal with Japanese Beetles which usually munch on my roses. Not so far.



I thought I'd tackle the next flower in 10-Steps: Flowers. It's a Gerbera daisy. I'm not very good at drawing foreshortened petals but I tried. I like the coloring.


In 20 Ways to Draw a Tree I tackled a flower, a cloud, an apple, grasses, and a tree seed. I know that you don't need me to tell you what these are but I do because I want more text to go with the picture, that's all.

 


I still haven't gone out and trimmed back the purple mums. Is it too late? Should I get out there on Sunday and hack them back? If I leave them will they keep blooming until September? I just don't know.


I'm one round away from being done with the Kestrel Sock gusset, then I can knit the stitches back onto Magic Loop and ditch the DPNs. I don't mind the double pointed needles but I like Magic Loop better. I am amused at the way the colors of the yarn are pooling. It made nice stripes on the leg and it'll go back to making nice stripes on the foot but the gusset is a whole different story. I don't mind, it'll be in my shoe anyway.


I spent part of the morning going back into the metadata of all of my books and taking out any reference to Romance in the Categories and Keywords. I've learned that Romance has an expected framework of action and reaction that readers look for. I don't have that so I'm limiting myself by claiming it. It seems like every day I learn something new. Part of me wishes that I'd never have started this odyssey. Marketing is hard.

Then I spent the rest of the afternoon rereading my 2021 NaNoWriMo manuscript. I've been letting it marinate for a few months so that I'd fall out of love with it and could look at it with a more objective eye. I've read to page 84 and, honestly, I can't tell if it's any good. I've got lots of conflict, I think, but maybe not the right kind. Editing is hard too.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

They say that anything worth doing can be hard. But you're sticking with it so I'm proud of you. We've gotten a couple of downpours here but like you, we need the rain so no complaints.