Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Happy Independence Day!

I hope you all had a fun and festive 4th of July today. I did. I was invited to DIL1's parents house for a cookout and swim. I didn't swim. I should have because it was beastly hot but I stayed in the shade and drank a lot of water. And ate some watermelon. I'm on a watermelon jag these days. I bought some cut up melon, then a personal melon that I cut up, now I have more cut up pieces. I can't stop eating it. It's so good. And it's zero points. Hooray!


When I got home I notice that Dad's roses are reveling in the heat we've been having. This rosebud looks like a perfect one. It's the deepest red and just barely open and it smells heavenly. Thanks, Dad!



Before I went to Shawano for the cookout I pulled out my drawing things. First I drew from Draw 500 Fabulous Flowers. I like the flowers in this book because they don't pretend to be exact drawings of real flowers, they're flower-like and I can draw them.


Then I paged further into Draw 20 Jellyfish and drew a sea otter, a seal, a sea serpent, a sea slug, and a shark. I think that the sea serpent is my favorite today although the slug isn't bad.



I managed to capture a shot of the not quite as little baby bunny this morning as it investigated some spilled seed on the patio. I was sure that the chipmunk had eaten it all up but there must have been a little left for the bunny.

 

Every July the purple chrysanthemum decides that the hottest time of the summer is the time for it to bloom so it makes buds and starts opening them. When I was taking rose pictures I glanced down and there were a couple tiny purple buds on the mums. *sigh* I'll let a few more buds show up and then I'll go out and trim them all back so they bloom in the fall as nature intended.


I spent the evening bingeing three episodes of Longmire. I'm happy that there are six seasons of the show and I'm only in the middle of Season 2. Lots more hours to be spent on the couch watching.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Oh that rose!! Confirms that red is my favorite color after all. Sounds like a great day celebrating the Fourth and bingeing on watermelon and Longmire. Nice way to beat the heat.