Monday, July 17, 2023

One

I went up to Other Worlds Books & More bookstore in Sturgeon Bay today because a tour bus was stopping. They park behind the mall that the bookstore is in so the tourists have to walk through the mall to get to the main shopping street. So the owners of the bookstore invite "their" local authors to come and set up a table and hopefully sell some books. The tourists today were NOT readers. I don't know what they were but it wasn't readers. I sold one book--to another author--and bought two books on Kindle when I got home. So not only did I drive 100 miles to make $9 but I spent $13 online. Oh well. I'm deciding whether I'm going to go back up for the next tour bus on Tuesday but I'm for sure going up next Thursday for sidewalk sale day which will have much more traffic. I think that Thursday is from 10-4 which is a long time but if I have the chance to sell more books I guess it's worth it.



When I was trying to decide what to wear today I realized that I don't have much "nice" clothing. I have jeans capris and t-shirts but very little "book sale/author" clothes. I also need something nice to wear to a party on the 29th so once I got home and did my business business I went up to T.J. Maxx and shopped. I found 2 pairs of black pants, 5 tops, and a pair of red canvas flats. I realized that it had been three years since I'd been clothes shopping like that, since lockdown. It was fun.


A Cardinal showed up on the platform feeder this morning and once again it chased away all comers. The Mourning Doves and one of the squirrels have pretty much cleared out the safflower seeds from the feeder, the greedy guts. I didn't think squirrels liked safflower seed.



Today's Daily Practice was Root Vegetables and Bikinis. Bikinis? Really? What weird thing could be next? I guess I'll wait and see.


Then I dived back into 20 Ways to Draw a Tree and had fun drawing a tree, a mushroom, a bird, a flower, a fern, and a pinecone. This is the first time that I've been semi-pleased with the way the pinecone turned out so that's a win right there.



It was almost time to come back here and blog when I realized that I should have spent part of the evening casting on the Kestrel Sock so I cast on and managed a single round of ribbing before I carefully put it down and came here to blog.


Oh, and here's today's roses. NH, I looked up how to make rosewater and I need more petals than I have available right now but I'll keep it in mind when they bloom again later in the summer. Thanks for the info.


It was fun meeting other authors today even though the tourists were a disappointment. Maybe I'll go back on Tuesday AND Thursday just in case the next tour bus is filled with readers. I'm still thinking about it. I have time. I am tempted.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I love all your new clothes. I can't imagine going that long without shopping for clothes!! But you did make up for it. Those red shoes look like some I have -- but mine are black. Better luck next time at the book sale.