Wednesday, July 12, 2023

I Made It Rain

A little anyway. It clouded up this afternoon so I figured if I went on errands it'd rain and it did. Well, it sprinkled for about an hour so that's something. I guessed that being out and about would be too much of a temptation to get rained on and it kind of worked.



The Stella d'Oro lilies were loving the sprinkling. I went out and took this picture. You can't see it but there were water droplets on the petals that looked very pretty.


This little purple weed flower was standing up in the brown and dry grass when I went out. There are a zillion of these flowers up by the retaining wall behind the rental side of the duplex but I didn't want to get my camera any wetter than it already was so I made do with this single flower.



Today's Daily Practice was birds and I spread them out and drew them big enough that they took up most of the page. When the lesson was done I had a bit of space left at the bottom so I drew another bird facing the other way.


For more drawing fun I pulled out Drawing Cute and drew a watermelon and pears. The watermelon is appropriate because I've been on a watermelon jag for over a week. The stuff is so good right now that I just can't quit.

 


I went down to the library after lunch to sort books and found boxes and boxes of paperback novels. Those are easy to sort--toss the Regency Romances and Barbara Cartlands, and shelve the rest on racks. I got about six or eight boxes emptied before my parking meter ran out.


After supper I sat on the couch watching TV (got the Final Jeopardy! answer too) and finished crocheting the Gray & Purple hat. I still have a few ends to weave in but I'm counting it done.

 

I did a little writing when I got home from errands. I'm still not thrilled with the personality change of my new character but not writing wasn't going to fix anything so I dug in.  One thing I did accomplish was to go into last year's NaNoWriMo manuscript and change "Coke" to "soda" to avoid registered trademark problems. (See, I grew up saying "coke" as a generic for soda pop. It makes sense to me to say "I'll have a coke" and get ginger ale or 7-Up.) That was a big topic of conversation at last night's Writer's Guild meeting. It's good to be reminded of the need to seek permission when you want to use a brand name in your writing. In this case it is NOT easier to get forgiveness than permission. God help you if you decide to put in the name of the professional football team in GB. They'll be on you faster than a duck on a junebug. Just sayin'.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Kinda sad to just toss those paperbacks. I hope there are already hardbacks on the shelves. Somebody worked hard to write them!