Monday, July 10, 2023

Red, Orange & Yellow

Those are the colors of the flowers that I like and those colors are blooming in my yard right now. First, red, is Dad's rose. There are still new blossoms and buds on the canes. I don't know how it's managing since we've had so little rain and I'm not good at watering regularly but still there are roses.



For orange we have day lilies. There are clumps of them all over the backyard and a whole row of them on top of the retaining wall that are sending out buds.


And then yellow. I can always count on the Stella d'Oro lilies to bring that color to the backyard mix.



I finished the first pass through 20 Ways to Draw a Jellyfish this afternoon drawing a scuba diver, an albatross, a manatee, an oyster, and a swordfish. I like the albatross because it's such a good likeness made with so few lines.


Then I booted up the Daily Practice and drew the next two days. I know, I know I'm only supposed to draw one day at a time but the paper is so large that I can squeeze at least two days on a page. I'd rather do that than leave all that blank space and waste paper. Maybe when I finish this pad of big pages and shift to the smaller sketchbook I'll do one day at a time. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

 


When I went out to shut off the soaker hose on the retaining wall I meant to take a picture of more red flowers, namely geraniums, but I discovered that the chipmunk isn't only uprooting coleus in the front yard it's also uprooted one of the geraniums in back. Grr. And yeah, the pots need watering there too. Tomorrow.


I tried writing this afternoon and got precisely nowhere. I wrote a few words and realized that my character had completely changed from one scene to the next and I didn't like the wimpy, friendly guy half as much as I like the sharp-tongued, grumpy guy from the other day. So I saved the measly scene and turned off Word. Take that, computer.

Today was the St. Agnes Class of '65's monthly lunch. We went to a different sports bar where they have patty melts (RS's favorite) and tater tots (my favorite). There were so many tots on my plate I couldn't eat them all. The cheeseburger was good and juicy too. I ate so much at lunch that I skipped supper, just had a bowl of watermelon chunks.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I hope you can save that poor uprooted geranium. It looks pretty pitiful in the picture. At least we have the beautiful rose to gaze at.