Monday, March 6, 2023

Who Ordered More Snow?

We got an inch of slush overnight, nothing like the 3-6" of snow that the weather guessers were predicting. But I looked out after supper to see swirling white flakes and a lot of them. I had to open the patio door to take this picture and scared away the 5 o'clock rabbit. Sorry, Bugs. They're talking about a crapload more snow Thursday night into Friday. Yippee. Good thing LJ fixed my snowblower for me. I'm so grateful.



I got tired of putting reading glasses on and taking them off all day, every day, and I just couldn't get used to not having glasses on all the time, so I made an eye exam appointment for this afternoon and got some nearly clear glass glasses with bifocals in them. Nearly clear because my left eye wasn't quite corrected last summer so there's a bit of correction in that lens. I scoured the racks and found the red striped frames that I got last time and loved, and then picked out some red variegated ones too. They weren't the low price frames that qualified for the deal price but getting two pairs was doable. I love them and I'm happy having glasses on all the time. Plus they hide the perpetual bags under my eyes.


Today's Daily Art said to make a face with torn paper so I drew face parts on colored paper and tore them out and glued them onto the page. I like the way it looks.



Then I booted up the next Basic Line Drawing lesson on Creativebug and copied her drawing of succulents. I bought a fake succulent at Hobby Lobby where I went to kill time before my eye exam but it wasn't like the ones she had. I tried to draw mine but wasn't very successful so I copied hers.


But first I got out the paints and went back into the Intermediate Watercolor lessons to find the one about painting a bouquet. She picked out three blossoms that were in the vase and kind of riffed on them. I didn't have time to paint another one on a postcard. Maybe tomorrow. I've gotta keep painting so I'm in practice for my workshop in May. There, that's my excuse for wasting watercolor paper and paint. Plus I enjoy it.



I managed to spend a little time this morning and then in the afternoon reading my latest NaNoWriMo manuscript looking for a piece to use for the next roundtable submission. So far I'm not impressed but I've got about 60 more pages to read so I still have hope.


I set up my Square card reader account this morning and needed to choose a logo so I scrolled back in our Bonaire 2007 vacation photos to find one of me working on my first NaNoWriMo manuscript on the porch of our apartment on the island. Look at me, I'm a logo!

 

Three members of my extended family have birthdays this week. I've sent out three cards and been very grateful to CS for letting me sort through her old greeting card samples. She has stacks and stacks of them. Reminds me of the samples that Durwood used to get by the caseload whenever Gillette changed the packaging or had a bonus size. We ended up with a basement full of leftover samples. In fact, I haven't bought shampoo in 45 years. That stuff never goes bad!

I had a notification on Alexa when I got home this afternoon. She said that judging by my recent purchases and requests did I want to follow author Barbara Angermeier Malcolm? I said no, that would be creepy but it also made me glad that she doesn't know who I am. See, I bought an eBook and a paperback of Better Than Mom's last week and then had her read me part of The Seaview so I understand where she's coming from but still, no thank you.

At lunch today with the St. Agnes Class of 1965 my books were a topic of discussion. Not my books exactly but the fact that I've written books and published them. They were all amazed and impressed. None of the guys will read them, I'm sure, but it was nice to hear them praise me for it. I know a couple of their wives are reading them now. That's so cool.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I say the same thing about my glasses hiding the bags under my eyes. It's a cheap facelift!! Can't believe you're still getting snow but it sounds like it isn't as bad as some of the forecasts. Spring had GOT to come at some point in time!