Monday, March 13, 2023

Almost 10 Inches

That's how much snow we got from Saturday night to this morning. Ten inches is a lot. I was happy to have such a big snowblower when I had to get through the plow drift this morning and here's how deep it is just off the porch. I'm at an odd angle but it was about 18" deep there.

 


I looked down at the front bed where the hyacinth is sprouting and here's what I saw--just the tips of the leaves. Eek! I know that snow is a good insulator so I'm sure they'll be alright but it makes me sad to see them buried like that. The daffodils are completely buried, not even a hint that they're under all that white.


When I was finishing up shoveling off the porch and the step I was thinking that it'd be great if the UPS guy showed up before I got done so I could have him just pop the carton of 22 books into the back of my car so I could carry them in a little at a time but it didn't happen. However I didn't have my coat off and hung up before I heard a thump on the front porch, saw a big brown truck parked at the end of the driveway, and a man in brown walking away. Five more minutes and my hopes would have been realized. As it was I could heft the carton and get it into the house with only a little trouble.



I was so happy to see the stack of Better Than Mom's so I'll have them to take to the Market on Military on Saturday. Don't they look nice all stacked up? I sat and signed them all so that's done too.

 

 Once the books where put away I got out Dr. Seuss's Book of Animals and drew this purple reindeer (caribou?). I think it turned out pretty well. I drew another page out of the 500 Flowers book too but I won't share that because I don't want to put too many pictures on here. I suspect that I've got too many already.



And I have this Daily Practice picture that I painted tonight. It's a kind of protea, I think. I'm a big fan of the colors. The plant/flower thingy isn't exactly these colors but they're approximately the colors that the teacher used. I'm going to have to pause these lessons until I get the stuff I ordered from Michaels because in her next lesson she uses gouache paints which are a kind of opaque watercolor and I don't have those yet. I just ordered a set of student grade paints and will do my best to follow her colors.


I have an inch to go on the Mulberry Charisma Hat before it'll be time to start the crown decreases. I knitted a few rounds last night and tonight but got distracted by paints.


This afternoon I read the roundtable leader's comments and made some changes in my manuscript. Now I don't know if I'll submit the first person rewrite or the third person rewrite. The third person one is the one that I submitted last time so I suppose I should carry on with that one but I'd kind of like opinions on the first person one. It's a quandary.

I also dug out the tax stuff and sat at the table making lists of expenses and stuff. I feel like every year my taxes get simpler but I still need my tax accountant's help because of the duplex deductions and that sort of thing. Now there's the book thing to deal with too.

And best of all the sun shone off and on today. It's supposed to be sunny but cold tomorrow. I'll do errands even if it's cold because I want to be out in the sunshine. And I'm out of pretzels and almost out of milk.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Even though it's making tax time a little more taxing (pun intended!), I'm still so glad you're writing and making such a success of it. I cannot imagine eighteen inches of snow at your doorstep but that picture proves it really did happen.