Monday, June 27, 2011

Henny & Penny... and Lemon Cake


Well, I can't show you a picture of the lemon cake (just imagine an empty plate with a fork on it. No crumbs, no smears of lemon glaze, nothing but a memory and a smile) but I can show you a picture of the front of Penny and the back of Henny. They're pretty shy and, well, chicken. DS & DIL1 say that they need to handle them and give them time to get used to people. I found myself researching the chicken variety online today and wishing I was off work so I could go over there to sit on the ground in their pen letting them get used to me. And I don't even like animals, but I want them to like me. Nuts. Sorry I'm posting so late again today. I don't know what's gotten into me lately, I just can't seem to manage to get moving most mornings. Tomorrow I'll go walking with Dusty at 8:30 AM and I promise (cross my heart) to come straight home and post. Really.

June 26--French and Chinese, Mounted Vase. "Oh, for God's sake, don't tell me that's where you want to put him." Julia kept her hand on the Chinese porcelain vase with the gilt bronze mounts that she had taken out of the china cupboard earlier. "What's wrong with this vase, Leo? Perkin and Sons can make a cover that will look as if it belonged. None of the, well, none of him will get out." Leo shook his head. "That's too disgusting to even think about. No, Julia, you'll have to choose something else. Adrian promised her granddaughter Tia that she could have the vase as her inheritance. She's not going to want Nathan's cremains too."

Ooh, ick. What an odd thing to think about for a story. How'd you like to inherit a beautiful vase with someone in it? Sorry I'm sending you to bed with that image in your head. Sleep tight. I need to finish my cake.
--Barbara

P.S. Oops, did I say there's cake left? Nope, no cake left, not here, no lemon cake, move along.

No comments: