Wednesday, December 14, 2022

It's Tradition

This morning I got up the old cast iron Dutch oven, put in a pound of butter, a pound of slivered almonds, and two cups of white sugar. I turned on the fan and the ceiling fan and started heating it up. English Toffee is a stirring-intensive recipe. That much butter and sugar likes to burn so I have to stir and stir. The mixture gets brown, suddenly starts smoking, and I know that it's ready. I should have poured it into a bigger baking sheet but there was just enough room in the one that I had ready. Just enough. I used my handy dandy cleaver to cut it into square-ish pieces and bagged it up. The crumbs and dust I bag to use as ice cream topping. Yum.



The next page in Sketching was these happy holiday glasses--a lady wine glass and a gentleman rocks glass all dressed up for a party. 


And here's the creature that was perched on top of the Bus Stop sign in yesterday's Seuss-ism's picture. I don't know if it's a person or a bird with person legs and feet. Whatever it is, it looks grumpy.


I finished the third triangle of the Limited Edition Wingspan tonight while watching TV and started the fourth. It doesn't look a whole lot different than last night's picture.

I had to open up the patio door to let the burnt sugar smoke out of the house and while the door was open and it wasn't yet raining I went out and filled the feeders. Squirrels found the peanuts that I flung onto the grass but hadn't tackled the peanut wreath when it got dark and started to rain. Now the weather app on my phone says that it's sleeting. Yippee. It's supposed to turn to snow overnight and we're supposed to get up to 9" by the end of tomorrow. That's going to be some wet, heavy snow. If it had to do this I'm glad it's doing it now so that the roads will be cleared and salted by the time I drive to Milwaukee on Monday to have lunch with Lala, spend the night, and then pick up DD on Tuesday morning.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I'm not making the traditional English toffee this year. Everyone loves that stuff but this year no traditions are being observed in the Rehder household. Besides that, I don't have any of the right pans.