Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Gearing Up

 DD and I spent the day running errands and getting ready to wait out the storm that's supposed to bury us tomorrow. We went to the new Hy-Vee grocery store to look around and buy a few things. It's a big, impressive store with lots of cool things to see and buy. We bought some fruit and a birthday cake because IM's birthday is Christmas day and he requested a chocolate cake. Check. DD ran into Target to pick up some Christmas pj's for IM because SIL1 couldn't find the ones that she had bought and hidden for Christmas Eve.

Then we stopped at Seroogy's candy store for Meltaway bars and candy for Santa to put in the stockings. We might have bought candy for ourselves too. We went to Hobby Lobby where DD looked for hankies to crochet edging on but they didn't have any. The hardest stop was for gas. It was all of 2 degrees and a little breezy but I was hardy in my warmest hat and gloves and got through it. Whew.

 A Nuthatch showed up at the feeder this morning. It came and went a few times but I was able to snap this picture of it sitting there with a Sparrow. See how puffed up the Sparrow is? It was really cold out there, single digits for most of the day.



I looked at the drawing books in Hobby Lobby and didn't buy any (none were marked down) but they had 10-Steps: Nature which reminded me that it had been a while since I had drawn anything out of it. So I did. I'm pretty happy with this sea turtle on a beach.


Then I pulled out Drawing Cute where there was a giraffe and a camel on the next page. I like the giraffe but I think the camel is a little funny looking. DD says that camels are funny looking anyway so it's fine.


We made an evening revisit to Target after SIL1 called from the road to say that he had forgotten his socks and IM's toothbrush. We also searched the candy shelves for a Lifesavers Candy book. Remember those? They used to have all different flavor rolls but the ones today have only 5 Flavors. I got one and I'll share the rolls out into the stockings. I used to love Lifesavers when I was a kid.

No snow yet. It's supposed to start overnight.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

We're expecting record cold down here over the weekend. Nothing like yours. A low in the 40's will feel like Christmas to us!