Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Ack

When I got up this morning I looked out the window and what did I see? Snow. Ugh. It was that tiny flake wet stuff that slushed up almost immediately. It barely got above freezing today so I was glad that I didn't have to go anywhere. I dug out some ice melt salt and scattered it on the top of the driveway just as a proactive strike against ice. It seems cruel that less than a week ago we were setting new record high temperatures--72 on Thursday--and 24 hours later it was 32 degrees and it has barely gotten above that since. And it's only supposed to get colder, ten degrees colder over the next few days. Double ugh. The only good thing is that I saw a picture I took last year on this date and we had inches of snow so our little dusting that melted away is better.



A couple of the Christmas cactus buds are getting bigger and pinker. This one's portrait turned out. The other one's didn't. There are three buds that look like they may turn into flowers and four or five more that probably won't. But I can hope.


I did some Seuss-ian drawing today. I don't know what this kid is supposed to be doing or where he is going but I liked the pink tree that he's walking under.



Then I turned to the next page in 10-Steps: Nature to find seaweed. I don't think I've ever seen seaweed that looks like this in the ocean but it was fun to draw.


I think my Big Wool Cap jag is waning. I worked on this one for a while last night but then put it aside. I know that it won't take long to finish so I searched for something new to make.



And I found the Sophie Scarf. I even had some silk and merino wool yarn the correct weight for the pattern already wound into balls so I got needles and got started. It's going to be a small scarf that ties around the neck, not one of those endless knits that people curse new knitters with making.


I did okay writing today. I called my hurricane consultant (Aunt B) and got some info about what it's like when a hurricane is on the way. Some of what I wrote yesterday is wrong but that can be fixed later. I still feel like nothing much is happening in the story but I'm over halfway to 50k and the month is half over so that's a win in my eyes.


I didn't find anything to toss today and, admittedly, I didn't look for anything. It was strange not to have a recipe or two to cook but I had "saved" yesterday's dirty dishes so I had something to wash this morning after breakfast. Mostly I glared out at the falling snow.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Winter season always starts too soon. And we always forget from one year to the next.