Thursday, November 10, 2022

The Last Warm Day

It got up to 72 degrees today. In November. In Green Bay, Wisconsin. I opened up the house and let the air flow in. It was lovely. The weather app on my phone says that it's supposed to be 38 tomorrow after the front comes through. Yikes!


I cooked today. First I assembled the Chicken Cacciatore and got it into the slow cooker. It bubbled away most of the day making the house smell great. It finished up around 3 o'clock so I got it portioned out and into the freezer.


Then I wrote. I was happy to have found an Anguilla road map so I could look up the name of the airport and the roads the next guest had to drive on to get to the Seaview. I don't have a clear vision of her looks but I've got her in the second sea side room unpacking and she's met the other guest. I managed all that in 1696 words. Tomorrow the guests will go to supper together and get acquainted. I think.


Once I had my writing in the bag I got out the new recipe that I decided to make--One Pot Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet--and got cooking. This one has browned ground beef, onion, garlic, black beans, corn, Rotel tomatoes, and instant rice. It was easy to stir together and quick to cook. I put a pinch of reduced-fat cheddar cheese on each serving and got them into the freezer too.



I was on Meemaw duty this afternoon and evening so the only drawing I had time to do was the daily art page which asked me to add plants to the empty pots on the page. OJ and I did a little drawing too but there are no photos.

 

I remembered something cool this morning when I started making the Cacciatore. All they had in the grocery were whole mushrooms and I needed sliced. I remembered reading or seeing on a food show that you can use an egg slicer to slice mushrooms. I tried it and it worked perfectly. You have to put the mushrooms in stem down so that the wires cut the thick skin first but it works! Cool, huh?


Today's toss was a book about scuba diving that I won't reread. It's time to let someone else enjoy it.

And it's raining. Not storming, just raining. At least it's not snow.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Pretty dramatic change of temperature. But winter is definitely on the way. Good to talk with you yesterday. XXX