Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Temptation...

...thy name is onion bread. I made the dough this morning, let it rise, punched it down, formed it into turbans, and let it rise again. Then I baked it. While it was baking a miracle occurred, the aroma of baking onion bread permeated the house and made it nearly impossible for me to ignore it. I was sorely tempted to get out the bread knife and slice off a piece when it was just barely cool enough but I resisted. I'll get the electric slicer up tomorrow morning and slice both loaves and just maybe there will be a crumb or two for me to nibble on.



There were still a few peanuts left in the wreath this morning and this squirrel had a different approach than yesterday's squirrel. This one leaped right onto the peanut wreath from the birdbath and hung on upside down until it wriggled out a peanut. Then it dropped to the ground, adjusted the nut in its mouth, and scampered off.


In Sketching he had printed post-its on the pages and had drawn things that were around his desk. I drew some of the things that I could see on the table and I copied his palm tree drawing because I'm a big fan of palm trees.



For my next drawing I carried up a stuffed snorkeling lobster than used to be my brother TW's and drew that. I should have colored it red like the stuffie but I use a lot of red colored pencil and mine is getting a little short so you'll just have to imagine that it's red. I suppose I could have used a crayon...


Writing went a little easier today. It didn't take me as long to get the words down and it wasn't as much of a struggle as it was yesterday. I turned off the hurricane today so now I have to think of another conflict for Rose and Iggy to endure. I wonder what it will be.



Tonight while I watched TV I decided to cast on a toe cap for no-thinking-needed knitting. It's just a simple knit 2, purl 2 pattern around and around and around for 4 inches before the toe decreases. Easy peasy.

 

Today's toss was what was left of last Thanksgiving's onion bread. It got shoved back on the top shelf of the freezer and only emerged the other day. It was very stale and freezer burned so not worth keeping.

The weather report for tomorrow has changed and it's supposed to be in the mid-40s with no rain so I'll be able to drive to Shawano for Thanksgiving dinner with confidence. I didn't want to miss it but also didn't want to drive in bad weather. It was sunny and got up to 50 today, a dramatic and welcome change from last Saturday's single-digit wind chills.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

How you resisted that right-of-the-oven bread is beyond belief. You're a strong woman. Happy Thanksgiving. Glad you can make the drive to be with the kids. XXX