Thursday, November 24, 2022

I Gave In

This morning I got the electric slicer from the basement and sliced the onion breads. And that was just too much so I dug out the toaster, slid a slice in, and made me a piece of onion bread toast with butter. It was delicious and worth the wait. I only had one slice and then I saved the rest for Thanksgiving dinner with the family in Shawano.



Here's the groaning board of tasty Thanksgiving delights. DS cooked two turkeys--one smoked and one deep fried. I have to say that the smoked one is my favorite. There was bread stuffing, white and sweet potatoes, corn pudding, mac & cheese, Brussels sprouts with bacon, green Jello fluff stuff, cranberry sauce, cranberry relish, and onion bread. Then there were four kinds of pie--one regular pumpkin pie, one pumpkin chiffon with rum, apple with streusel topping, and pecan pie with bourbon--with your choice of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top. Needless to say, even taking a small bit of everything (but only a slice of pecan pie a la mode) I am stuffed to the gunwales and feel like I won't need to eat again for at least a day.


It was a bird drawing day. First in Draw Like an Artist the bird was a Kakapo. Which I looked up and read that it is a flightless variety of parrot endemic to New Zealand. Never heard of it. But here it is. Ta-da!



Then in 10-Steps: Nature the next figure was a Puffin. I drew a puffin not too long ago but I think this one turned out better. I like the coloring better too and I'm happier with its feet.


It got up to 48 today so almost all of last week's snow melted, even the stuff in the shade. I was glad to see it because it made driving the 40 or so miles to Shawano and back easier.



And the Christmas cactus is opening up another bloom. It still has three or four more buds hanging on.


Writing went okay today. Nothing exciting happened in it but I managed to write enough drivel to meet my daily quota. I'm just happy when enough words come.

Today's toss was a few ancient silverplate soup spoons with the silver almost worn off. They don't feel especially good in the mouth so out they go.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Oh my goodness -- that Thanksgiving table is impressive. Certainly puts my attempt to shame. At least I tried. Glad the snow is gone.