Saturday, October 23, 2021

All I Did Was Draw

 For most of the day all I did was draw, all afternoon anyway.  I realized yesterday that I'm good at copying the pictures in the instruction book but not so good at extemporaneous drawing so I unearthed an old, kids drawing book called "Draw Squad" by the same author and started drawing those pictures.  It was fun.  I figure just drawing will help me get more comfortable and confident so maybe I can be brave enough to draw something not in the book.  I seem to be better at drawing the more cartoon-y pictures.  I don't mind.  And I discovered the other evening that now I can sit and draw with LC and OJ and not be worse at it than a 5 year old.



The lesson today in the "You Can Draw in 30 Days" book was pyramids so I filled a page or two with those.  I even went to Office Max this afternoon and found the exact mechanical pencil that he recommends because I'm nerdy that way.  Now I have the pencil, eraser, and shading stomp (a rolled paper thing for smudging shading) that he talked about in the beginning of the lessons.  I'm set now!

We had a sunny day today and the Stella d'Oro lilies were happily blooming.


 

 


I went out to take flower pictures and filled the bird feeders while I was out there.  When I took down the hummingbird feeder last week I moved the peanut wreath back down to the near crooks and a pair of Bluejays spent the afternoon competing with the squirrels for the peanuts.



After filling four pages of my sketchbook with drawings from the Draw Squad book, I sat down on the couch to knit a few rounds on the Eagle Eye Beanie.  Even though both of these yarns are classified as the same weight the black is thinner than the rainbow one so it gets crowded out.  I still like the way it's turning out


Today's toss was the first of a pair of battery powered camping lanterns that Durwood got from someone.  I know he kept one by the side of his bed so that he could turn it on when he got up in the night.  Why he needed an extra lantern when he had a perfectly good bedside light, I do not know, but he did.  I don't need them.

The prompt today said that a dangerous animal escaped and is in your neighborhood.  What do you do?  I'd stay inside and keep an eye on the feeders.  Since they attract squirrels, chipmunks, and birds (food for predators) I figure they'd make a beeline for the prey buffet in my backyard.

I had such a fun time just drawing and drawing today that I might just do it again tomorrow.  There's a football game in town so I'm planning a sojourn to the grocery after the kickoff to stock up on apples and a few other things but then I can just write and draw the day away.

--Barbara

No comments: