Thursday, April 15, 2021

Almost

I've been watching this female Robin try to eat from the suet cakes this week.  She flies up to the edge of the birdbath, then takes a bead on the feeder, and flaps over trying to hover so she can peck at the suet.  Getting a picture of her isn't easy.  I've probably taken a dozen shots but all I've gotten is the feeder.  Today I was successful.  She's blurry because she was moving so fast but I'm happy to have gotten a shot at all.  She's the only Robin that has developed a taste for the suet cakes.



I went out this afternoon (after my dental cleaning appointment) to rake some of the leaves off the patio and around the garden and saw that the Bleeding Hearts have shot up.  I need to go out and clean up around it, get last year's stalks cut off and hauled to the curb, but I wanted to show you the sprouts.


The lawn violets have started blooming too.  I'm sure that these are bird-planted or wind-planted.  I like that they bloom in the spring and keep blooming until it's time to mow for the first time.  I think it might be time to get the mower tuned up by my neighbor who has a thriving small engine service in his garage.  I'll have to text him tomorrow to find out when I can roll the mower up there.  I've been afraid to put the snowblower away for fear of a spring snowstorm but the way the weather's been going I think it might be safe.  I can have the mower serviced and put it back into the shed until time to mow.  Yeah, that's what I'll do.



Tonight was knitting guild Zoom meeting and the program was knitting jogless stripes.  Now we all know that I knitted ahead, trying out one of the techniques, so I had more hat to show for the evening than some of the others, but another knitter had made a whole hat so I didn't feel bad.  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to continue the stripes up through the crown or knit the crown all in red.  What to do, what to do?


Today's toss was three pairs of the most uncomfortable leggings ever.  I liked them because they're fuzzy inside so good for wearing in winter but they had the annoying habit of drifting down so I was constantly hoisting them up.  Not keeping them.

The prompt today said that you find a bag in the street and take it home.  What's inside is unpredictable and changes your life.  All I could think of was either a body part or money, both predictable, so I went with the money since it's less ooky.  A pile of money would change my life and I'd use it to change my children's lives.  And I'd reserve a room at The Clearing for the whole season so I could go up and take whatever class I wanted to take all year, and when I wasn't there they could rent it out and double dip.  Good plan, don't you think?

Thanks, Aunt B, for The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse.  Every time I read it, and I read it often, it speaks to me in a different way.  I love the pictures too, especially the ones of the sky.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Good for that determined robin and for you too. Both of you persisted and had success. Sweet violet picture. I love those demure little blossoms. That book is definitely a keeper, isn't it? I'm happy you're enjoying it.