Saturday, April 17, 2021

One of Those Days

 I can't decide if I had a day off or an off day.  Probably the latter.  I just couldn't muster up the gumption to do much.  I thought I had an idea for a novel scene and started writing it but realized that I'd put a character in it that is in a different place in the story and can't be where I'd put him today.  Ah well, delete is an easy key to hit.  I'll think some more and come up with something better or at least different.


I got some wrapping paper at the store the other day so I wrapped OJ's birthday gifts today.  I got him a big box of Lego blocks because he's a fiend for building things with Legos and I got him an animal encyclopedia book with lots of pictures and fewer words because he loves animals.  I can't believe he'll be 5 on Tuesday.  My, how time flies.



 

It wasn't until late afternoon that I saw any critters on the feeders.  First this pair of House Finches came to the platform feeder and defended it against all comers until they were done.


Then this squirrel discovered that I refilled the suet pellets so it hung there nibbling away for the longest time.  Well, long enough for me to get the camera and take a picture anyway.  At the same time a Chickadee landed in the birdbath and splashed around but he was so small and had his back turned so the pictures didn't turn out at all.  Dang it.  It's so rare to get a chance to take a Chickadee's picture but he just looked like a gray blur.  Not a great image.


 


I made a pompom for the Striped Stix hat.  It's kind of precariously perched on top of the hat and I hope that putting the hat on a head evens out the pointy top.  I hoped that the pompom would do it but it just slid off the tip when I tied it on.  I think it looks good anyway.  You can kind of see where the stripes join.  The jogless techniques aren't perfect or maybe the operator needs more practice but there's less of a jog.


Today's toss was two pairs of pants.  They're from Eddie Bauer or Land's End, I forget which, and they're tight in the waist and baggy everywhere else.  Not a good look so out they go.

The prompt today said that the sun was obscured and all artificial lights went out so all was dark.  How would you cope?  I kind of had a little panic thinking about being in the dark everywhere, no candles, no sunshine, no lamps.  I know that blind people manage their lives without light and I suppose my other senses would compensate but what about nobody being able to drive or read or knit or sew.  Gah!

My big adventure for the day was driving to the post office and staying in the car to mail a birthday card to my brother-in-law because I missed the postman and it had to go out today because I'm already late sending it.  It says something when a drive to the post office is the big excitement for the day.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The striped hat looks perfect to me -- a real professional job. I can't believe OJ will be five either. Where do the years go? Wherever it is, I'm glad the last one is gone!