Monday, April 12, 2021

A Frenzy of Cooking

I meant to do something other than cooking today, I really did, but once I got started I couldn't stop.  My first recipe was Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls because I thought that the roll of ground turkey needed to be used quickly.  I don't know why, probably because it wasn't frozen and I'm used to turkey rolls being hard as rocks when I buy them.  Anyway, that's a quick and easy recipe, not too much prep, and a short 30-minute simmering time.



While that simmered I sorted through the recipes I'd pulled out deciding which one to do next, thinking next would mean tomorrow, then I thought about all of the raw meat packaging I generate in a bout of Investment Cooking and the fact that tomorrow night's when the trash goes out.  That put the thought of cooking another recipe in my head so I put together the Chicken Tikka Masala in the slow cooker and got that going.  It gets a spoon of plain yogurt stirred in when it's reheated.  Yum.


Trash day kept niggling at me with the thought of all of those chicken packages so I threw caution to the winds and made Hoisin-Glazed Chicken.  Oh, and each recipe required most of a batch of brown rice for portioning purposes.  I asked Alexa to play Glenn Miller for me while I cooked, hummed, danced a little, and washed up behind myself.



By then it was four o'clock and I thought, oh, what the heck, and switched the music to Queen (for the energy), and made Salisbury Steak.  That one made me peeved because the meat dept. at Meijer doesn't have ground sirloin in the butcher case anymore so I had to buy two one-pound packages of ground meat.  The peeving part came when I weighed out the half-pound that was extra for the freezer and then weighed the remainder and it was two ounces less than a pound and a half.  They weigh it in the danged foam tray!  It says it's a pound but it's only a pound with the tray, and the tray is inedible.   I was not amused.  So now I have to find out if the other grocery I patronize has ground meat in the butcher case for next time.  Arrrgh.  These are in the new containers that were supposed to come during my last bout of cooking.  I think I like them.  They're too big for a lot of the recipes and just right for a couple of them.


Then it was after five o'clock and time to clean up for the day, eat some supper (from the last Investment Cooking bout), and get ready for the knitting guild board Zoom meeting.  After the meeting I knitted a little but not enough to warrant a picture.

I didn't toss anything today, not unless you count all of the onion skins, tomato and soup cans, and meat packages I threw into the trash.  I was too busy cooking.

Today's prompt asked what I'm grateful for.  Time, I'm grateful for the time that I have to do what I want pretty much when I want it and I'm grateful that I have enough money to go with it.  Thanks, Durwood.

There are only three recipes left for tomorrow and one of them is in the slow cooker so maybe I'll get something other than cooking done.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What a productive day you had. I hear you about wanting to get stuff out of the kitchen trash and into the garbage can quickly. Especially meat packing stuff. Everything looks delicious and well organized. Well done!!