Tuesday, February 1, 2022

To Leap or Not To Leap

I think that was the question rolling around in the squirrel's mind this morning. It sat on the edge of the birdbath staring up at the suet cakes and the crooks for the longest time and finally decided that it was too much trouble, jumped down, and scampered off. Another squirrel came later, shinnied up the crook and dined on the suet pellets for quite a while.



I had trouble falling asleep last night because I kept thinking about what I was going to do in my watercolor sketchbook today. First I painted a couple bird shapes on the pages with the discordant circles on them.


Then I line painted some more scissors alternating with some plants. The plants on the left page are waiting for my craft punches to arrive. My plan is to use small circles for the leaves and I'd rather punch them out than cut them out. The punches were supposed to arrive yesterday but they've been delayed. I hope they come tomorrow so I can finish the pages. I'm painting scissors because the instructor said to paint clothespins and I didn't want to paint those so I gathered up a bunch of scissors instead. Just substituting one utilitarian object for another.


The pages I'm happiest with are these with the giant fish surrounded by sponge painting. My plan is to paint the fish turquoise like a Stoplight Parrotfish and then fill the body with punched circles like scales but seeing the negative fish space kind of pleases me. I'll have to think what I'm going to do.


I think the figures I drew today out of the 3-D book are odd. No two ways about it. The top picture is a grove of trees as if you were lying on the ground in the middle of them. Odd. And the... thing at the bottom is a duck-billed head with one big foot. Also odd.


Today's tosses were a canister of ancient instant coffee that Durwood used to take on the road back when he was still traveling. It had gotten pushed way to the back on the top shelf of the cupboard alongside a bottle of teriyaki sauce that I've never liked the flavor of. I dumped them.

I went and got a haircut this morning and then I goofed around watching online class videos and ordering art supplies for most of the afternoon. I had a lot of the pens and markers that were called for in the new classes but my sketchbooks don't have the right kind of paper so the ink doesn't bleed through so I had to order some and some watercolor pencils. Oh darn.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I can understand the squirrel's indecision. That looks like a very long leap. And maybe he wasn't all that hungry. I like the negative space fish. Interesting.