Monday, February 7, 2022

It Snowed Again

But only about a half-inch of soft, powdery snow so it was easy to shovel off the driveway so that the afternoon sun could melt the skin of ice that collected under the snow. It doesn't seem fair that the soft snow makes the pavement slick when it melts. I had to be extra careful when I was shoveling so that my feet didn't slip out from under me. The sun was at an angle that started melting the new snow as soon as it touched the retaining wall.



A pair of House Finches stopped for a safflower seed snack this afternoon. I got up too late to see the morning birds but I saw where they'd dug around in the new snow for fallen seeds.


I had an idea as soon as I got up so I quick got out my watercolors and splashed some black paint on a couple pages, let it dry, and then glued some of the circles I punched out onto them. I think they look like planets, my own solar system.



Then I turned to another blank two-page spread and tried to paint leaves with just a brushstroke. You can tell when I got frustrated with my lack of success and started painting lines. Maybe one of my old watercolor books downstairs will have a tip I can use or maybe I'll just keep drawing them with a pencil and painting inside the lines with a  little brush.


I drew the next lesson in the Draw Squad book this afternoon but I also called up another drawing book on the Kindle and drew the first lesson in the You Can Draw It in 30 Minutes! book. I gotta find something that isn't a rocket ship or Twinkie person to draw.



Once I had those things drawn I started in on my gratitude page for today. I realized that I'm a little repetitive in the things that I'm grateful for but that can't be helped. I pretty much do the same things every day and stick close to home.


Tonight I finished knitting the Andean Sun Hat (AndeanSun is the name of the yarn) and it fits. I was afraid that it would be too short but it covers my ears, just barely. Next time I make the hat pattern I'll add an inch to the ribbing just to be safe but if I'd done that this time I wouldn't have enough yarn to make the hat again with the leftover yarn. Hm, gotta think about that.


Today's toss was a mug.

--Barbara


1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You did make your own solar system with the painted circles -- but the leaves do need work! I'm sure you'll master that skill soon. Love your "hot shower" moment -- cleverly redacted. Well done.