Thursday, October 27, 2011

Oops



I missed posting yesterday. Sorry, Blogtoberfesters. We went through Mom's jewelry (Aunt B discovered the diamond earrings. Yay!) and I gotta say she had a crapload of jewelry. Not much of the "good" stuff but an impressive volume of sparkly and beady things. Also watches, the woman evidently had a watch fetish. Then we went to supper at DS & DIL1's where I played with Porter in the backyard while the grownups talked and after supper I sat on the floor with her sleeping in my lap while they talked around the table. I discovered that a dog is a nice companion when you're sad. To top off the day I couldn't find my keys to Mom's when we dropped off Aunt B. I had an outside door key that AJ had given me the other day and ended up waking up Mom's neighbor for her key. Embarrassing. Even more embarrassing when I got home only to discover it in the breast pocket of my sweater. Right there by my left boob all the time. Tsk.

October 25--Workshop of or painted by Giovanni Maria Vasaro, Majolica Bowl with the arms of Pope Julius II and the Manzoli of Bologna surrounded by putti, conucopia, satyrs, dolphins, birds, etc. "You did not put popcorn in that bowl," Terese said. She wasn't yelling or commanding but disbelieving. Jace sat with the bowl of popcorn on his lap, his hand buried to the wrist in fluffy, buttery whiteness. "Uh, yeah, I did," was all he could think to say. Evidently it was the wrong bowl to use for his game day snack. None of the guys could make it today but he didn't think he had to pass up all the pleasures of the day. He had beer and cheese and popcorn. He glanced down at the old ceramic bowl with the ugly design on it. "What's wrong with it? Is it poison?" Her face got pale and then blood flooded up turning it bright red. She reached out, grabbed the bowl, and dumped it onto him. She clutched it to her breast like a battle shield. "This is a priceless Italian antique. Made in the fifteenth century." She fired out sentence fragments like bullets. "Not some Tupperware... plastic... thing... with a snap-on lid." Jace stood up, shedding popcorn. "Then you shouldn't have stored it in the cabinet," he said. He stalked into the kitchen muttering, "good thing it's halftime" while his dog, Ruts, was busy crunching up all the spilled snacks.

Okay, I'm off to take Mom's violin to be appraised and then figure out what to do next. Appreciate the sunshine today. I promise to notice and keep on noticing. Cross my heart.
--Barbara

No comments: