Monday, October 3, 2011

Lake!

Finally we got to Lake Superior, Durwood pulled over so I could get out to take pictures, walk along the road, and find a path down to the beach to walk along there a bit. There were people picking up stones, I assume agates, but I didn't get close enough to them to ask for a lesson, and maybe they wouldn't have shared such valuable info with a stranger anyway. So today we're going to seek out a rock shop so that I can learn what they look like and get some tips about maybe finding some of my own. Durwood wants to go to Walmart to see if his old greeter friend is still there and I found a fabric/yarn shop to visit, so that's on the agenda. We also need to see if this motel has a room available with a bigger bed. I got up in the middle of the night to find Durwood had made a pallet on the floor with the spread and extra blanket and was sleeping down there. I couldn't figure out why and figured it was because I was thrashing around. Turns out he thought that when we were both lying on our backs a double bed wasn't roomy enough. We both woke up about 7:30 and after cups of instant coffee (for him) and tea (for me) he asked at the office to find that there's one room with a bigger bed and she'll know in about an hour if they're leaving so we could have it. Fingers crossed (because I am not taking a turn sleeping on the floor tonight).

October 2--Camile Pissarro, The Garden of the Tuileries on a Winter Afternoon. From this height they looked like pixelated blips on an old computer game of Snake. Some were singles going their own way, others were multiples bumping and straggling on the stone paths. Guillaume giggled and tugged at his nanny's sleeve so she looked out the window with him. "We will walk there after our snack," she told him. She like the small misshapen boy with the glittering brown eyes like roasted chestnuts. At first she had been almost afraid of him and she had no way of understanding him. He only babbled but his eyes and hands were so expressive that soon she spoke to him as if he were a normal boy and responded to his babbles as if he'd spoken.

Not where I expected to go but a nice place nevertheless. It's foggy here today, I suspect it's foggy here often since Houghton's in a dip between two "mountains."
--Barbara

2 comments:

Robin Norgren, M.A, R-YT, Spiritual Director said...

Hi there! popping over from Blogtoberfest!

Aunt B said...

Good luck on the agate hunt!