Thursday, January 6, 2022

No Birds Either

 For the second day in a row I didn't see one bird or one squirrel at the feeders. I didn't make it out to fill the peanut wreath today. I'll do that tomorrow. I think a bunny showed up to make the footprints I noticed in the snow under the feeders tonight.



It did snow today. After I shoveled the driveway, of course, but not enough to make me have to go out and shovel again. I was impressed with the size of the flakes during this one snow shower. That's what the weather guys call it, a snow shower.


I knew that starting the watercolor online class would be a distraction. We were supposed to find a collection that we could "draw" with our paintbrush. First I chose a couple handfuls of clementines, at her suggestion, but I ended up with a double page of orange circles. Not very interesting. Then I opened the drawer and found these four pairs of scissors so I drew them. I was surprised that I could make them look like scissors. Maybe all the drawing I've been doing for the last couple months has had an effect.



Even though I was tempted to plunge ahead to the next painting lesson I had to let the paint dry so I pulled out the Draw Squad book and drew the next lesson's figures. I enjoyed it more today than I did yesterday. My enjoyment seems to come and go.



Today a bunch of my writing friends and I were supposed to go up to The Clearing in Ellison Bay at the tip of Door County, well, almost the tip, for a weekend of writing. I'm in charge of keeping the fireplace going and I was feeling bad about that so I went on Netflix and found an hour long fireplace video that I played over and over all afternoon. It has the flickering light and the crackling but not the heat or the smell of wood smoke. Small consolation.


Today's toss was a knitted toddler hat that won't fit any heads around here anymore. Why did I keep it when I sorted out hats months ago?

The prompt today said to write about a couple that has a very different perspective on a shared memory. That's every married couple on the planet! Probably every couple period.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Sounds like everyone is hunkered down up there in the snow -- even the birds and squirrels. Sorry your trip to Door County got cancelled. Bummer!