Sunday, March 1, 2020

I Didn't Mean To

... but I spent part of the afternoon cooking up two recipes, both involving squash.  I went to the grocery after I got back from Artigras and they had squash on sale so I got two acorn squash and two spaghetti squash.  Once I was home it seemed silly to roast them separately so I did them together and then made the Moroccan Chickpeas and Sloppy Joe to fill them.  Needless to say the house smells great.  Now I have four Sloppy Joe-stuffed Spaghetti Squash suppers and three Moroccan Chickpea-stuffed Acorn Squash suppers.  I had one of the Moroccan squashes for supper; it was delicious.  I dug out a recipe for herbed chicken breasts to have alongside that but didn't get the chicken and besides it needs to cook for a few hours in the crockpot.  I'll get that tomorrow after lunch and whip it up on Tuesday.  Make the house smell good again.


I nearly fell off my chair when I opened today's newspaper to find DS's picture on the front page!  There's a huge, almost 3 page article about Zambaldi from the beginning to today.  I am so proud of them that if I had buttons I'd be busting them.  Seeing the whole story laid out like that really brought home the struggles they went through to get their dream launched.  I think he gets his stubborn from my side of the family, but Durwood was pretty stubborn too.  DIL1 can be pretty determined too but I don't know enough of her family to point any fingers.  Let's just say that those two people can make their dreams come true by sheer force of will.  Last weekend I told DS that every time I saw an article by the food/beer reporter or the local business reporter I expected them to be talking about Zambaldi and he said that an article was on the way but I never imagined it'd be so BIG.  So proud of them.



There was a nice steady stream of people walking past the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild booth at Artigras this morning.  KW and I talked to a lot of people and a few said they'd think about coming to check us out.  That's all we can ask.  Again I forgot to take pictures but CS took some and graciously shared them with me.  Thanks, CS, I owe you a beer!  (and I know where to get one!)


To show you how much yakking and not knitting I did at Artigras today I had ten rounds left to knit on this itty bitty hat and I didn't manage to knit them.  And with the cooking and manuscript reading and rearranging I did this afternoon and evening I still haven't managed to finish the darned thing.  Tomorrow!  I'll get it finished tomorrow.  Cross my heart.





01 March--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

Returning to his office in the police station Det. Archibald was surprised to see Lt. Graybow there.  “Len, what’re you doing here today?  I thought you had plans for your day off.” 
“Oh, I just came in to get a few things straight in my mind.  I can’t stop thinking about these two murders.  I keep thinking they’ve got to be connected since the two women were such good friends but for the life of me, I can’t see how they could be connected.”
Archibald stood next to Graybow’s desk, hands in his pockets, shoulders hunched, a frown of concentration on his face.  
“Yeah, I keep thinking the same thing.  Right now, the only thing that connects them is the fact they’ve been friends since high school and Kenneth Edwards was at both crime scenes.  God, I hate to think he’s the murderer.  I wish the coroner could give us more to go on the murder weapon.  It might be a hunting knife but there’s no distinctive marks in the wounds.  It might be something else.  No defensive wounds so the victims must have known the killer.  We get a story that Tiffany Davis might be expecting a lover, but no one ever suspected it.  Kimberly Neal’s obviously having an affair with the tennis pro, and her husband’s fooling around with some gardening genius bored married woman.  I like the tennis pro for Neal’s murder.  Maybe his blood will match the drops found on her tennis dress.  The husband’s got a good alibi.  Did you go over that video tape Dirk Davis dropped off?” 
“Yeah, the date and time stamp match his story so he’s off the hook for his wife’s killing.  So that lets both husbands in the clear.  Should we bring in that Edwards and see if we can get anything more out of him?” 
Archibald’s face shows his reluctance to believe his old mentor is the one to commit two murders.  “Not right now.  Let’s see what we turn up and what Doc Lange turns up in the autopsies.  Oh, before you leave you might as well call Dirk Davis and tell him he’s no longer a suspect.  Thanks, Len.  I’m beat.  I’m outta here.”  Archibald sketches a wave and leaves the station.


Well, it got up to 46 degrees here today and the sun shone.  Before I left this morning I opened the kitchen window and one of the bedroom windows to air out the house.  Ahh, there's nothing like fresh air in a winter-stuffy house.  Back down in the 30s tomorrow but into the low 40s the next couple days.  Weird weather for a winter in Green Bay.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

DS posted a picture of that newspaper article on FB so I tried to pull it up on line. It wasn't included in the digital version, darn it. I did get out a magnifying glass and could read the part on the front page. What a great advertisement for the brewery and for the kids. Great couple indeed. Sounds like you're getting at least hints of Spring. Praise the Lord!!!

Nancy said...

I was able to find the article online after searching site for Zambaldi beer. Am even more impressed by their perseverance. Hope it generates even more business for them. Congratulations!