Thursday, March 12, 2020

Good Thing I Have Big Feet...

 
... because I found these socks at Meijer today in the men's department and because I have big feet (size 10) I could buy them and wear them.  Hehehehe, fish socks!  Yay!


 


It rained today.  Really rained.  Not some piddly little spritz but full-fledged, turn your wipers on full rain.  We didn't need rain.



Rain means it's cloudy, not sunny, but it also means that the snow melts faster and the birdbath fills up without my having to go out, walk over the icy patio, and fill it.  This is a good thing.


I had a good trainer session doing pushups, lifting a 40# weight a bunch of times, tossing a medicine ball overhand into a wall, and pulling a stretchy band and holding it for 20 seconds.  Twenty seconds is a long time when the rubber band is trying to pull you off balance while you're trying to hold it where T the trainer says to.  I must be getting stronger because the time is going more quickly.  At first those thirty minutes dragged by, now they're over before I know it.




In the afternoon I worked on Donegal Mitt #2, got the hand and thumb gusset knitted and am onto the rest of the hand above the thumb.  Next comes the top ribbing and the thumb and then I'm done and will have lovely alpaca and wool mitts to wear while I'm typing.




12 March--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

“How did you get started organizing the refurbishing of your area?”
“I got tired of the city spending so much time and effort trying to keep the mall alive and finding new ways to develop and revitalize the downtown.  I realized that the little group of small retailers in this area have a lot to offer people, and we deserve some of the attention and money the city’s spreading everywhere else.  I just feel if we can let people know that we’re here and maybe make the area more appealing by removing the parking meters and putting up nicer lighting and maybe some planters or something, we can attract more business and all of Ashville would benefit.  For instance, there’s a terrific new restaurant just down the block called New Delhi Deli.  It’s run by a pair of brothers from India.  They have wonderful food, but I don’t think they’ve got much money to advertise.  I’m afraid if we don’t get some help from the city council places like that won’t be successful.  I have to admit I kind of get on a soapbox about things like this, but Ashville needs more variety.  Lots of people have come here from all over the world.  We have a wonderful opportunity to experience cultures far removed from our little Midwestern city if only we take advantage of it.  Marie worked for the Census last summer.  Did you know that there are over 3,000 Hispanic people living in Ashville?  They could add some spice to our “white bread” world if only we’ll let them.  We should have lots of little ethnic restaurants and more bookstores like Marlene’s across the street.  She’s really suffered a loss of business with those huge discount Internet sites.  Fortunately, she’s terrific at searching out special books for people or I don’t think she could stay open.  Consumers need to support locally owned businesses to keep our city from becoming homogenized like so many others.”  Cecilia stopped, sighed, and apologized, “I’m sorry I ran on so.  I warned you I tend to get on my soapbox.”
“No, no.  No need to apologize.  I quite agree with you.  We need to support our local business owners and encourage new ones.  I think it gives life to a city, too.”  Sheila paused and looked over her notes.  “I think I have plenty of information to put in the pamphlet.  Thank you for spending so much time with me.”
“I enjoyed taking to you.  I hope I didn’t bore you with my long-windedness.  My kids tell me I talk too much.”  Cecilia laughed.
“You were great.”  Sheila seemed to want to say more.  “Do you know Marlene very well?”
“I wouldn’t say very well.  I buy lots of books from her.  We like a lot of the same things.  She and I visit back and forth casually.  Why”
Sheila hesitated.  “I don’t want to imply anything but earlier when I was interviewing her, she told me all about “the Y’s” and how they made her life hell when she was a teen.  She went on and on rather vehemently about them.  I must admit I got a little nervous listening to her.  She even talked about someone doing away with them and just about perfectly described how it was done.  Gave me chills.”
Cecilia looked at her, reached across the small table and patted her hand reassuringly, “Oh, I wouldn’t worry too much.  Marlene’s not the most open person on the planet.  I think she had a tough time growing up and bottled up a lot of feelings.  She often goes off like that about her mother and how she treated her.  I think she’s frustrated about the business and a little lonely.  Don’t be nervous.  I’m sure she was just blowing off a little steam.  She never seemed to get over the way Tiffy, Kimmy, and Teddy treated her.  Even though they all grew up, Marlene still reacts to them as if she’s 15.”
Reassured, Sheila Winters closed her notebook, tucked her pen behind her ear, finished her lemonade, thanked Cecilia again, and left the store.  Cecilia, however, remained in her chair looking across the street at Kitty’s Korner. 


Today the email came cancelling the Writers' Institute conference in two weeks.  I'm glad I don't have to figure out how to refund hundreds of people's money.  At least the hotel hadn't charged anything so I only had to cancel my reservation.  They say they're looking to reschedule but I think it'll be a miracle.  I'm disappointed but didn't want to go spend a weekend with 500 people in a hotel.  Crazy times.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I can't imagine typing while wearing mittens but with the kind of winters you have, they sound perfect. Rain is better than snow. Keep telling yourself that. And those wonderful socks are a great addition to any wardrobe. Just wearing them and looking down at your feet is bound to cheer you up.