Sunday, March 29, 2020

I Fixed It

I forgot to put a nose wire in the first of the masks I made the other day.  I initially thought that it would be okay without one but then I wore it for a few minutes and fogged up my glasses so I had to work out how to put in the wire without having to deconstruct the danged thing.  I did it.  In a YouTube video a lady put her wire in last on purpose so I copied her method--and it worked.  Since this is the mask I'm keeping I'm glad I fixed it.


Here are the four masks I made today.  There are two of the blue bandana one.  Each one takes me about an hour to make.  I've made ten so far so I think I'll take a break and spend tomorrow cutting out garments so the next time I feel like sewing I'll have a pile of cool things to sew up.  Not that I need any more clothes, but I love making them and I have the fabric for them.  One of the things I want to cut out is a new knit shirt pattern.  I wear long-sleeved knit shirts most days so if I can make my own that'd be good.  Not cheaper but fun to do and, like I said, I have the fabric on hand.


After supper I cast on Car Knitting Warshrag #17.  I'm using the leftovers of the previous rag only in the opposite configuration.  I'm hoping that I run out of the current background yarn so that the color changes to the blue/green/purple yarn that reminds me of the colors of the ocean.


The chipmunk moved into the platform feeder this afternoon, hogging all the seeds and chasing away the house finches.  I opened the patio door thinking the sound would chase it away.  It stayed there.  So I went outside and walked toward the feeder.  It stayed there.  I swatted the side of the feeder and yelled at it to shoo.  It looked up at me as if to say "what?"  Finally it got the message and scampered off.  I wish I could call in a hawk.


29 March--The last time I saw...  the ocean I was in an airplane.  We flew from San Juan, Puerto Rico up the island chain of the Bahamas.  The water was a thousand shades of blue and the islands all wore necklaces of sugar white sand.  Waves and tides arranged sandbars and shorelines into geometric shapes and fanciful curves.  I wished to be down there where the warm water met the land then and still wish it now.  I love the long view standing on a seashore looking out over the seemingly endless water.  That view soothes and comforts me.  Will I ever get to stand by the ocean again?

No, I'm not feeling sorry for myself I'm just reliving a very happy time.  If I want to see big water all I have to do is drive a couple miles to the bay shore and there it is.  This nightly prompt writing is harder than I remember it being.  Guess I'm out of practice.  I'm not giving up.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yes, there's definitely something about looking out at the water -- especially when it meets the shore in a quiet way. I can envision the view from our deck in Wilmington and just that memory helps. Watching the golfers go by out the French Doors here doesn't compare! Good girl on the mask making. Wonderful way to help in these crazy times.