Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Birdies!

A bluejay came to the peanuts today but was gone before I got the camera in my hands.  I waited but he didn't come back.  But this pair of house finches came back to the platform feeder again and again throughout the day.  The chickadee darted back and forth too, always too fast for a photo.  A trio of squirrels tag-teamed the peanut wreath most of the day and even a chipmunk shinnied up the crook, inside the Slinky, and into the wreath to nab a peanut in the shell that looked as big as its head.



This robin came and posed on the birdbath for me too. 








 

This morning's sky was beautiful.  It wasn't sunny for much of today but it got into the mid-forties.  Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to fifty--and rain.  Yippee.


I braved a trip to ALDI in the middle of the afternoon which was the perfect time as there were few people in the store and they had lots of packages of that chicken Italian sausage I used for the sheet pan supper last night.  You'll be proud of me, I only bought four packages.  Along with a 2# bag of carrots.  I needed carrots.



The crocuses are still blooming and more are joining in every day.  I wish the purple and purple striped ones would show up but I'm happy with the yellow ones.  Really.




 



I finished the second Mosaik Mitt today and sewed up the seam so now I have a pair.  (I know that mosaic is really spelled with a "C", the pattern name has a "K".)  I'll try them out the next time I take a walk.




24 March--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

Marlene led the way to the stairs in the back of the store and spent a few minutes fussing over Cecilia, getting her settled in the living room before going into the kitchen to make the tea.  Cecilia sat in the chair Marlene had indicated with her feet tight together and her fingers fiddling with her slacks.  She let her gaze wander over the things hanging on the walls.  Her eyes were looking for the frame with the flint knife, but it was missing.  “Marlene, what happened to your Southwest artifacts?  I don’t see them,” she called.   
Entering the room carrying the tea tray Marlene said, “Oh, I was dusting the other day and knocked it off the wall and broke the glass.  I couldn’t believe I’d been so clumsy.  I have to get new glass for the frame.  Luckily nothing was broken.”   
“That’s good,” replied Cecilia.   
Marlene sat on the couch opposite her friend and began to pour the tea.  She handed Cecilia a cup and said, “I can’t believe it.  I’ve forgotten the cookies.  Excuse me for a minute, will you?”   
“Of course,” Cecilia said, wondering how she’d turn the conversation once again to the murders.  Maybe she’d start with Lt. Graybow.  She could say she’d seen his car parked near the bookstore and wondered if they were having a romance.  Yes, that was a good way to start.  Then she could ask if he’d told her anything about the investigation.  She lifted her cup to take a sip of tea and spilled some on her slacks.  “Clumsy me,” she murmured, and leaned forward to reach a napkin from the coffee table.  Just at that moment she glanced over her shoulder and saw Marlene behind her with the flint knife upraised to plunge it into her neck. 


My accountant called late this afternoon to say that my taxes were done and ready for pickup, and that they're closing to clients tomorrow so if I wanted to get it signed and sent in (for my little refund) I needed to get there right quick.  I zoomed over, signed where they said to sign, and skedaddled outta there and back home.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The sky! The robin! The crocus! Three cheers for Spring! Even if it's still cold, I'm proclaiming Spring in your part of the world. And just in time. Ohhhh, I knew Cecelia was putting herself in danger with that crazy Marlene. But maybe she twisted around and lived to tell the tale. Fingers crossed.