Sunday, March 22, 2020

A Sign of the Times

For the first time I placed a grocery order that I'll go pick up tomorrow instead of going into the store to select the items myself.  I even figured out how to edit my list and add the items that I'd forgotten.  (Yay, me!) This isn't a big "meat and produce" order, just fill-in items but it feels weird.  I'll wear gloves when I unpack the food and then wash my hands thoroughly.  You can be sure I'll destroy the bags the stuff comes in too.  One of the biggest items on the list is an ink cartridge for my printer.  It occurred to me the other day that I never hesitate to print something and not knowing how long this social distancing/self-quarantine will go on I'd better get more ink.  Good thing I shifted my food shopping to Meijer which is a cut above Walmart but has the general merchandise stuff too so I can fill my whole list.  Or they can.  Like I said, it feels weird.



Then, as long as I was already on the internet, I logged into my2020census.gov and filled out my census form.  It only took about 10 minutes and was a snap, maybe because I'm one little old-ish lady who lives alone so I didn't have that many questions to answer.


In the afternoon I drove across town to a friend's house, she came outside to meet me, and we took a walk, 6 ft. apart of course, but you can still have a conversation like that.  It was good to spend time with another human.  We're both being very diligent about staying home so we figure we can walk without too much danger and, if either of us gets the willies, then we'll call each other and walk and talk on our phones.  It's kinda lonely here these days.


I got to the picking up edge stitches on the Mosaik Mitt and thought I'd show you how I pick up stitches.  I have never been able to pick stitches up with knitting needles so I use a crochet hook to pull the yarn through then park the stitches on the needle as I go along.  Works for me.  I got the top edge done and then picked up stitches for the cuff.  Got 8 rows knitted before my eyes gave out.  It's the black yarn; it's so black that light gets pulled in rather than reflects so it tires my eyes to knit it at night.

22 March--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

“That derelict as you call him is a trained investigator.  He taught me a lot when I was just starting out.  He also had nothing to gain from any of the murders.  Marlene has.”  Archibald felt sorry for his subordinate but there was too much at stake.  “Marlene Brownloe has hated “the Y’s” as she calls them since she was a teenager.  Her mother, Kitty, held those three girls up as what she wanted Marlene to be.  Marlene resented that and she hated the girls.  They treated her badly.  Oh, I know Marlene said that they’d made up and she’d forgotten about all the hurt.  But I don’t believe that’s true.  You’ve heard her talk about them.  And, another thing, have you noticed the change in her since the murders?  She’s completely changed her appearance.  She’s changed her behavior.  With each successful murder Marlene came farther and farther out of her shell.  I just hope that your ill-advised love affair hasn’t ruined our chances of solving these crimes.  I also hope that you haven’t revealed anything to her that could have helped her avoid conviction.”  With that Archibald stood and turned to look out the window to give Graybow time to come to grips with what he’d done.
Graybow sat in silence.  Thinking of how happy he’d been with Marlene the last few days.  How he’d thought his life was finally coming together.  What he could say to Det. Archibald to re-earn the trust he knew he’d lost.
One of the officers from the squad room knocked on the door.  “Come,” Archibald called.  “Sorry to disturb you, Detective.  But I just got this message for you and I thought it might be important.”  The officer crossed the room and handed him a small piece of paper.  Archibald read the note and looked up at him.  “When did this come in?” he asked.  “About 15 minutes ago, sir.”  “Thanks.  Let’s go, Graybow.  We’ve got a fourth murder to stop, I think.”  With that surprising statement the two men ran from the room and down to the lot to their car.  “I’ll drive,” Archibald growled.  As he started the car, he tossed the note to Lt. Graybow.  It read: “Decided to do a little detecting at Marlene’s.  I’ll call you later.  Cecilia”


Tomorrow will be freezer inventory day then I get to search my shelf of WW cookbooks for goodies to make with the frozen stuff.  I have the ingredients to make a sausage and veggie sheet pan supper for tomorrow night (and 5 more nights) but I want to use up the frozen food.  Seems a shame to let it sit down there and get freezer burned, don't you think?
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Oh no!! Another murder?? I was afraid Cecelia would be next but if the note's from her.... Now I'm worried! Glad you got out for a bit. And good for you with the on-line order. My outing today is a run to Publix but maybe I'll try the on-line option. Can't be too careful.