Friday, March 13, 2020

Promise of Spring

 

I have a crocus! A little yellow-gold harbinger of spring unfurled in the front of the house today.  Now I just have to pray that some marauding rabbit doesn't eat it.  (are rabbits rodents?  I don't think so. nope, I just looked it up, they're lagomorphs.)




Well, I succumbed to a little bit of hoarding hysteria and bought two 12-paks of TP on my way home from the Guild board meeting last night.  In my defense, TP was on my shopping list so when word got around that stores were running out I realized that I needed to get some, stat.  So I did--and I only had to go to two stores.  The first one was out.  Thanks to RM, the husband of one of the board members, for having posted a photo and a text to say that Festival had some.  So I got some.  Even the brand that I usually buy (because Mom used to work there).  How's that for luck?



Yesterday's rain and today's sunshine did a good job shrinking the patio glacier.  Pretty soon it'll be gone and I can go out to fill the birdbath without worrying about slipping and falling.





After Thursday's all day rain I was very glad to see the sun come up over the trees this morning.



 
My writing partner, ACJ, picked me up this morning and we went to the quilt show--where I bought yarn.  (of course I did)  I don't need more yarn but this is 500 yards of wool dyed this beautiful rainbow of colors and was a mere twenty bucks.  That's "mere" for that much wool yarn.  This isn't the softest wool on the planet but it'll make good hats and maybe mittens or slippers. 

 

Tonight at Friday Night Knitting I finished the second Donegal Mitt.  These little mitts come just to the base of my fingers so they'll be good for writing and typing in, maybe even knitting in.  No, probably not knitting, the needles will catch in the stitches.



13 March (Friday the 13th!  Eek!)--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder.  

Now I have to convince Alan that Marlene must have something to do with all those murders.  And I’ll have to tell him about Lt. Graybow being over there so much.  I hate to get that nice young man in trouble with his boss, but I’m sure he shouldn’t be involved with someone who should be a suspect, she thought.  Cecilia got up, smoothed her apron and spent the rest of the afternoon waiting on customers.  But her mind kept straying across the street and replaying all the conversations she’d had with Marlene over the last week.  She was not the most attentive salesperson in town that day.  

***Archibald reluctantly arrests the derelict, Kenneth Edwards, and charges him with the three murders.  Edwards convinces him to listen to his story and tells of his long years in security, his fall into homelessness, and asks for his understanding.  Archibald is cautious but ready to believe Edwards due to their reversed relationship when he, Archibald, was just getting started in police work.  Edwards was a kind of mentor to him in his early years on the force.  They eventually work together to try to solve the cases.  But not before Archibald asks the suspect for a blood sample to compare to the blood found on Kimmy’s tennis dress.  Edwards gladly complies.    Edwards had nothing to gain by killing the three women, didn’t profit from them, and provides Archibald with good eyewitness testimony about Teddy’s murder scene.***


Tomorrow I'll wind up that 500 yards of yarn into a cake, or two, and see if I can't find a pattern to knit with it.  Until then, sayonara and good night.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

With all the bad news on TV, that little yellow crocus brought joy to my heart. So bright and cheery poking straight up into the beautiful sunrise. Glad you stocked up on TP. I have hand sanitizer all over the house and am being very diligent about washing my hands. If you have to stay indoors, that rainbow yarn should keep you busy for a while. Very pretty.