Saturday, March 21, 2020

Clean As A Whistle

This morning I dived into cleaning the fridge.  I decided to use my social distancing time to get some long-deferred chores done and the fridge was number one on the list.  It didn't take as long as I thought it would, mostly because it wasn't as disgusting as I'd feared it would be and now it's all sparkly and clean.  Also there were fewer things that needed tossing so I feel good about staying on top of things. Ahh.


The only other thing I did today was knit.  (Well, I did my daily yoga too but, mercifully, there are no [and never will be any] yoga pictures.)  I finished the rows between panels, the second panel, and the six rows on the edge.  I'll wait until tomorrow to pick up stitches for the top edge and the cuff because working with the black yarn is very hard in the evening.  I'm happy to see that this style of slipstitch knitting is enjoying a resurgence.  I bought a few new patterns for a hat, a shawl, and socks made with the technique.  Socks!  That should be exciting.


21 March--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

As Archibald turned to go back to his desk, he caught sight of Lt. Graybow entering.  “Graybow,” he roared, “in my office.  Now!”  Lt. Graybow looked startled at his superior’s tone of voice, straightened his tie, smoothed his hand over his hair, and crossed the room to the office.   
“What is it, sir?”   
“Shut the door, Len, we need to talk,” Archibald growled.  Archibald went around to his desk chair and with a wave of his hand indicated that Graybow should sit.   
He did, wondering what this was all about.  “Is there a problem?” he asked.             
Archibald kept his eyes on the papers on his desk for a long moment.  He shook his head, rubbed his eyes, and looked up at his partner.  “Len, is it true that you’ve been having a relationship with Marlene Brownloe?” 
Graybow looked surprised at the question.  “Uh, yes, Marlene and I have been seeing each other.  I don’t see what that has to do with anything, sir.” 
“You don’t, do you?  Marlene Brownloe is a suspect in three murders you’re investigating, and you don’t see the fact that you're dating her has to do with anything?  Are you losing it?”
 “A suspect?  What are you talking about?  I thought we cleared her last week.”     Archibald looked up at the ceiling.  
 “Graybow, do you remember your police training?  Do you remember learning that no one, not anyone, is cleared until we find the murderer?  Everyone connected with a crime is a suspect until we get the perp.  Remember hearing that?  Even once, Lieutenant?”
“Of course, I remember, sir.  But I thought we’d agreed that Marlene couldn’t have committed all those murders.  You remember she was the one who told us about Tiffany Davis’ excitement about someone arriving after Marlene left Blossoms?”
“Yes, Len, I remember.  We haven’t found any evidence to support the notion that Tiffy Davis was having an affair.  All of her closest friends vehemently deny the existence of “another man”.  And those closest friends are now also victims.  Killed in exactly the same way.  A knife to the neck that severed the spinal cord causing instant death.  Very tidy crimes, except for that little scuffle with Teddy Allgood.  Kimmy Neal is murdered in the locker room late at night and there on the floor next to her locker is a bag of books from Marlene’s store.  There are books in her dressing room from there too.  And Dwayne Neal said how much Kimmy hated to have to order books from her since she’d hated Marlene since they were kids.  An eyewitness says Teddy Allgood was killed by a woman.”
“Are you going to believe a derelict over a known businesswoman in town?” Graybow asked incredulously.


It was sunny today but breezy and chilly.  A bluejay stopped at the birdbath for a second and there was a pair of chickadees out there too but neither of them held still long enough for a picture.  It's supposed to snow a bit again tomorrow.  I want to take a walk tomorrow but not in the snow.  I don't want it to snow.  Wah!  I know that it's just March and I live in Wisconsin but the temps been about 10 degrees below normal.  Normal sounds pretty darned good.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Whoever thought cleaning the refrig would be the highlight of our day? But yours does look very tidy and well-stocked. I've resorted to reading my old diaries. That could take until the end of this scary time. Some of them go back to 1990!! Still have a couple of library books but sometimes I want to be the heroine of the tale.