Friday, March 6, 2020

Green!

I went out to check the mailbox (AT&T junk mail and a Joann Fabrics flyer) and checked on the status of the bulbs sprouting across the front of the house while I was out there.  I love the little fingers of green leaves that poke out so hopefully this time of year.  These daffodils have been planted there in that spot for 41 years.  I know this because I was eight months pregnant when I planted them and DS will be 42 on his next birthday.  (how can my little boy be that old? time sure flies...)




This squirrel came for a quick drink today.  It was sunny all day even though it only got to about 36 degrees and felt like 28.  It's supposed to get up near 50 degrees on Sunday.  What's up with that?  We'll probably have a blizzard next week to put us in our place after such drastic and balmy temps.




Here's how far I got knitting on Mod Pillow square #4.  Starting this one was a little easier than the previous one so I guess I'll keep knitting on it... although I fully intend to find something else to knit tomorrow.  I can have two things going at once.  Really.  And I still am hating on the pillow but I'm too stubborn to quit.


I went online to see the list of available speakers and subjects for the Writer's Institute conference I'm going to in a couple weeks.  I found a few things I want to be sure not to miss.  Of course, two of the things I'd like to attend are being held simultaneously.  Sheesh.  Guess I'll flip a coin.

06 March--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

At one o’clock Cecilia put a sign in the door “Back in one hour” and collected Marlene and they walked down the block to the deli.  Finding a small table in the center of the room, they settled down to enjoy their chicken tandoori and rice.  Overhearing conversations around them, all about the three murders.  Cecilia listened, took a deep breath and plunged in.  “So, what do you think about those deaths?  I’m so sorry to think that three young women could be murdered here in Ashville in such a short time and the police don’t seem to have a clue.” 
Marlene looked up from her meal and shrugged, “You know, I had so much of “the Y’s” when I was a teenager, and beyond, I must confess I haven’t paid a bit of attention to the news.”             
“Really?  I don’t see how you can avoid it.  It’s all over the TV and the papers.” 
“I don’t read the papers or watch the news on television.  All there is is mindless crap in either.  Television is pap for the undereducated and unintelligent, and the newspapers are the mouthpieces for right-wing fundamentalists who wouldn’t know objective journalism if it bit them on the ass.  If you want my opinion, don’t be surprised to find the person who committed the crimes is a jealous husband, or wife for that matter, since those three built their reputations at flirts early and practice often.  People like that deserve to die because they’re cruel and heartless.  Whoever sent them on their way did all of us a big favor.”
Cecilia was stunned by the vehemence of Marlene’s response.  She thought, Well, I guess I asked for it, but decided to press on.  “But you must be aware of all the gossip flying around town about the weapon.  I heard it was a big hunting knife.  They said Tiffy was nearly decapitated.  And Kimmy, I’ll bet it was that tennis pro, Lars.  And I heard on the news this morning that some homeless man is being questioned about Teddy’s murder.  You know, I always thought she was at risk working down there at that shelter with all those desperate people.”        
Marlene looked up; her face mottled with emotion.  “Cecilia, can’t you understand that I’m just not interested in the fate of those dreadful, nasty women.  As far as I’m concerned, whoever killed them did the world a favor.  Now can we just drop the subject.  I thought we were going to talk about the city council meeting and your petition.” 
Cecilia took a deep breath.  “Oh, right.  I almost forgot hearing everyone around us gossiping about the murders.  Okay, here’s my idea about the meeting...” 
The rest of their lunch was devoted to planning their proposal about enhancing their business district. 
            Walking back to reopen their stores, Cecilia and Marlene were still talking about the petition and that most of the neighboring businesses have signed.  Both women were hopeful about the chances that they’d finally get the support from the city government they felt they needed to stay in business. 



I am determined to go to the Y and walk on the treadmill tomorrow.  I figure if I write it on here I'll actually go and do it.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Marlene is heartless. Even if she has hated the Y's all these years, show a little compassion -- unless she did the dirty deed!! Those darling little sprouts of bright green are shouting "Spring is Coming." And if they aren't shouting it, I am. Love that shot. Even the squirrel looks like a change of season. Your latest knitting project looks complicated. No wonder you don't like it.