Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Cookie Day!

Even though the Thursday knitting guild meeting was cancelled I made the cookies I had planned to take for snacks at the meeting.  These are 10-cup Cookies which has been my favorite cookie since I found the recipe last July.  They're made with one cup each of: butter, flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oatmeal, pecans, chocolate chips, coconut, almond butter, and craisins.  Plus a couple eggs, baking powder and soda. Every bite is a new taste treat  I'm sending a dozen to my writing friend in Wauwatosa and given a dozen to my renters.  I'm hoping to get rid of them quickly, and not by eating them myself.


I finished the first Mosaik Mitt.  It turned out bigger than I anticipated and I'd go down a needle size but that'd mean they wouldn't match.  Not that matching things is paramount on my list but a pair of mitts should at least be related, don't you think?


I found out that I could schedule a free package pickup so I don't have to go stand in a line at the post office but I can't figure out how I'm going to pay for it.  I guess I'll get a bill from the postman.

17 March--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

There’s a pause while Archibald digested what Cecilia has said.  “What do you mean over there the last few nights?”
“What I mean is Sunday morning early I saw them kissing at the door of the bookstore and then he drove away.  I think he’d spent the night.  And tonight, as I drove past on my way home from Teddy’s parents his car was parked in that space alongside the building.  There’s something more than simple friendship going on.”
“Marlene and Graybow?  That’s an interesting combination.  Two people who seem perfect for each other.  So, what’s the problem?” he asked.
“What’s the problem?  Oh, Alan Archibald, I can’t believe you’re so dense.  First, Marlene tells you about a mystery man supposed to meet Tiffy after she left.  Even though to all appearances Dirk and Tiffy are the happiest married couple in town.  No one else ever had an inkling that there might be another man in her life.  Neither of her best friends would even entertain the thought.   Next, Kimmy’s murdered at the club and a bag of books from Kitty’s Korner is found next to the body.  And her husband says Kimmy hates Marlene and hates having to order books from her.  Then Teddy’s murdered by a woman.  You said there was a witness, you remember.  Now Marlene’s always said how much she’s hated the three of them since she was a kid.  It doesn’t matter how many years have gone by, she really hated them.  And finally, as the three of them die, Marlene is more and more transformed from frump to attractive young woman.”  Cecilia took a sip of her tea and wrinkled her nose.  This stuff tasted like weeds and grass clippings were in the teabag.  She pushed it away, resolving to throw the terrible stuff away as soon as she got off the phone.
“Now, Cecilia, women are always changing the way they look.  They dye their hair; decide they have nothing to wear.  That sort of thing.  I’m sure you do it.  My late wife did it.  I’d come home from work and find the whole house rearranged.  One night I remember trying to get in bed in the dark and landing on the floor because she’d moved the bed!  So, what if Graybow and Marlene are a couple?” he asked, exasperated.
She took a deep breath.  “Maybe Marlene’s cozying up to Lt. Graybow to get information on the investigation.  Maybe she’s planting ideas in his head to divert suspicion from herself.”
There’s a long pause while Archibald thought about what Cecilia’d said.  The silence stretched so that Cecilia was afraid he’d hung up.
“Alan, are you still there?”
“Yeah, I’m still here.  I have to admit some of what you say makes sense.  I appreciate you telling me.  Listen, I’m exhausted.  I’ll talk to you tomorrow.  Good night, Cecilia,” he hung up.
Cecilia looked at the receiver surprised at the abrupt end of their conversation.  Oh well, I guess it’s hard for men to admit they might have been wrong about something, she thought.  Wouldn’t it be something if the “little lady” solved the case before the big policeman?  Humph.  With that thought Cecilia emptied her teacup into the sink, rinsed it and put it in the drainer.  Took the box of teabags and decisively tossed it into the trash.  She checked to make sure the doors were locked, picked up her latest paperback mystery, and went to bed.  Sleep was long in coming.


Tomorrow my writing friend ACJ is coming here to write together.  I dug out a teapot and a couple nice mugs so we can have tea like we do at the cafe.  Since we're both healthy it makes more sense for us to meet here instead of where we have no control over the responsibility of the other patrons.  Here we can keep a social distance and get some words down on the page.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That mitten is a work of art. And so are the cookies. I'm going to check out that recipe and try it during "shelter in place" time. What a frightening time this is. At least we can meet up with friends in our home. Glad your writing buddy is coming to your place. You can make tea in that darling clear tea pot you showed us one time.