Saturday, February 29, 2020

Free Yarn!

MW brought two big bags of yarn that someone gave him to last night's Friday Night Knitting get-together and shared it with his knitting friends.  There was a bag of cotton and linen yarn that I have some of, it's good to knit washcloths with, some gray superwash wool (it doesn't shrink or felt), and a skein of baby alpaca (so soft!).  There were a few skeins of worsted weight acrylic that I collected for the guild to use to teach a group of elementary kids how to knit.  Purple, pink, orange, and royal blue--sounds like kid colors to me.




Yesterday I finally figured out how to fix that felted hat that was too big.  I'd cut out a wedge but couldn't figure out how to sew the edges together.  There was no way either of my sewing machines would be able to sew it up so I got out Mother Malcolm's old sewing box and used the darning thread to stitch it together.  The hat is fuzzy enough that the seam doesn't really show.  It's still a little big but it's warm and I like it.




It only took me three days but I also worked out how to pick up stitches and cast on stitches to knit square number two of the Modular Pillow.  I also ditched the DPNs in favor of a long circular needle to do Magic Loop which means I'm only dealing with two needles instead of five.  An improvement.  I am hopeful that I'll get into the groove joining these squares because right now I'm wavering between keeping going and using the yarn for something else, like a sock.

This afternoon I took a shift at the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild booth at Artigras, the mid-winter art weekend in town.  We have a lot of items on display but, since we're an informational booth, we can't sell anything.  We're trying to attract more members.  I meant to take pictures but I forgot.  I'm going back tomorrow morning for another shift so I'll remember to take pictures then.  Promise.

29 February--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

Dropping Cecilia at her home, Det. Archibald drove to the home of Marcelle Durot, the woman Dwayne Neal used as an alibi for the time Kimmy was killed.  The home was a large, Tudor two story house with lavish gardens.  Parking his car on the street, he walked to the door and rang the bell.  Hearing the chime, he consulted his notebook and waited to hear steps approaching.  From right behind him a voice said, “Can I help you?”  Turning toward the voice Archibald saw a small, red haired woman dressed in what are obviously her gardening clothes, wearing a large straw hat, gardening gloves, and holding a trowel.  “Ma’am, I’m Detective Alan Archibald of the Ashville Police Department.  I wonder if I might speak with you.”  Sighing, the woman gestured for him to follow her around the house to the back where he’s amazed to see an enormous yard divided into flower beds, a water garden, a gazebo.  It looks like a spread in an expensive house & garden magazine.  “This is a beautiful garden, ma’am.  Did you design it yourself?” 
“Yes, Detective, I also did most of the planting.”  She ushered him to a table under an arbor where there was a large pitcher of tea and glasses on a tray.  “Please sit down.  Can I pour you a drink?” she asked. 
“Sure.  Ms. Durot...you are Ms. Durot, aren’t you?” 
“Yes, Det. Archibald, I’m Marcelle Durot.  Dwayne called me a few minutes ago telling me to expect your visit but I didn’t expect you quite so soon.  How can I help you?”
 “As I’m sure Mr. Neal told you, I’m investigating the murder of Mrs. Kimberly Neal last night at the tennis club.  Mr. Neal said that he was spending time with you at the time of the murder and I need to get your corroboration of his alibi.  Now, I’m not happy that he called you.  I’d hoped to get here before you spoke with him, but that can’t be helped.” 
Turning the pages of his notebook back to the information he got from the coroner last night, or rather early this morning, he asked, “Ms. Durot, what time were you with Mr. Neal last night?  From when to when?” 
“Before I tell you anything, Detective, I need your assurance that this information goes no further. My husband’s a jealous man. I can’t have him finding out about my other little hobby.   Gardening is an acceptable hobby; Dwayne Neal is definitely not.” 
“Ms. Durot, I’ll do everything I can to keep what you tell me in confidence.  Right now, I’m just trying to establish Mr. Neal’s whereabouts at the time of his wife’s death.” 
“There’s a little club, Up on the Ledge, about six miles north of the city where Dwayne and I sometimes meet.  It’s quiet and private.  That’s where we were last night from 10 PM until 1:30 AM.  If you need further proof, I’m sure the bartender can vouch that we were there, although it’s a popular spot for people who indulge in that little hobby.  She may be reluctant to verify our presence.”
“Where were you sitting and what were you drinking?” 
“We were in the last booth on the left as you enter and Dwayne always has Scotch and water and I drink Bourbon and ginger ale, the real stuff, not cola and white soda mixed.  She’ll remember me I’m sure.  I always ask to make sure they have real ginger ale.” 
“Thank you for your cooperation, Ms. Durot.  I’ll do what I can to keep you or your name out of this.”  He stood to leave.  His gaze traveled around the surrounding gardens.  “This is a beautiful place.  So restful and relaxing with the sound of the water.  You sure did a great job.  Thank you for the opportunity to see it and thank you for giving me this information.” 
“You’re quite welcome, Detective.  I’m glad you like my gardens.  It keeps me busy.”  She smiled, “At least during the day.”  Marcelle Durot put on her gloves and picked up her trowel, “Can you show yourself out, Det.?  I need to finish planting my annuals.” 
Giving one more sweeping glance around the yard, he nodded his thanks and went back to his car and drove away.



It's supposed to be close to 50 degrees tomorrow.  I'll believe it when I see it.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

What a wonderful hat. Too bad you didn't have it at the beginning of winter because not only is it cute, it looks so warm. And it's a treat to see your smiling face. Wish you were down here to help me figure out how to sew together the pages of a real old book I bought on line. Adorable pictures of kids as birds but it's falling apart. Couldn't resist it even though it was described in "poor" condition. No lie there. I'm on a bird kick right now!