Saturday, February 22, 2020

Sewing Day

You know, at times I am still amazed that I can take a length of fabric and turn it into something 3D.  Today I measured, did math, and figured out how to make slipcovers for the kids' area cushions in the taproom.




DIL1 ordered the fabric, I washed it, and today I turned it into slipcovers.  It went a lot more smoothly than I thought it would.  Turns out I kinda know what I'm doing.


 

Doesn't my yogurt and granola breakfast look nice on my new linen placemat?  I think it does.  When I set the bowl down it struck me so I took its picture.  




This evening I finished the last round and bound off the Quabbin cowl that I made with the skein of yarn I bought at the yarn shop Aunt Ginny and I found in Indy last fall.  I like knitting with bulky yarn; it goes faster than skinnier yarn.



Aunt B commented on last night's post that it was in the 40s in Fort Myers this morning, that Mr. Aunt B wore long pants to go golfing today.  That must be the Florida equivalent of last week's subzero temperatures here in Wisconsin.

22 February--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder. 

Detective Archibald sat alone in the club bar thinking about his old friend, Kenneth Edwards.  How when he, Archibald, was a young, beat cop Edwards was head of security at Dahlcom Communications and helped show him the ropes.  Taught him about investigating, introduced him to people, helped him make contacts, and decisions that helped him advance in the police force.  How downsizing left Edwards out of a job, an alcoholic, lost his home and his marriage.  What twist of fate put Edwards at the scene of two murders in one week?  Coincidence?  But Edwards himself taught Archibald to be suspicious of coincidence.  Could his old friend really have become a murderer?  What would he have to gain from them?  Money?  Probably not as neither woman appeared to have been robbed.  Sex?  Again, neither victim was sexually assaulted.  Alcoholic blackout?  With a sigh Archibald rose from his seat, straightened his jacket and left the room, shoulders slumped, and went back down to the locker room to hopefully find that Lars has confessed and puts an end to these troubling thoughts.

Sunday dawned bright and sunny as Cecilia Robbins made coffee and toasted a bagel, looking forward to a quiet morning alone.  She set her table with a small vase holding a handful of flowers she picked from her garden when she went out to pick up the newspaper.  As is her habit on Sundays, she got out one of her best coffee cups and saucers, used a bright plate for her bagel and settled down to enjoy her hazelnut decaf and a cheddar and herb bagel with scallion cream cheese.  This was the only morning of the week she could take the time to pamper herself.  Her kitchen faced south and was flooded with light.  The cream-colored walls of the large combination kitchen/dinette were covered with framed prints and other mementos of her life.  The floral curtains were cheery and bright.  Once the coffee was brewed, the bagel toasted and spread with a thick layer of cream cheese, Cecilia opened the paper and was astonished by the big, black headlines.  There splashed across the front page was the news of Kimmy’s murder.  Cecilia was horrified to realize that someone who’d been in her store only a few days ago crying over the murder of one of her best friends has herself been the victim of murder.  Forgetting her coffee and bagel she pored over the newspaper article, searching for similarities between the murders of Tiffy Davis and Kimmy Neal. 


While sewing I did five loads of laundry.  How can one woman make enough dirty clothes to have five loads?  Well, I have a lot of clothes and I had vacation clothes too so it all added up, plus there were towels.  Is this a sign that I have too many clothes?  Maybe I'll sort out the ones that are just hanging in my closet, kind of thin the herd.  Kind of like spring cleaning. Even though it isn't spring--yet.  I was pleased to notice that it wasn't full dark when we were coming in for a landing last Tuesday at around 5:30pm.  That's a good sign.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Never a doubt you know what you're doing -- and not just about sewing. You know a lot about a lot of stuff and I still think you could win on Jeopardy. Your breakfast looks like it could be a page out of Food Network magazine. Very healthy-looking and pretty to boot. Still kinda cool down here but predicted 80's by mid-week. Winter in Ft. Myers is a very brief event.