Monday, February 10, 2020

Packed

Well, I think I'm all packed for my vacation next week.  Why do you always think you've forgotten something vital?  I'll have to buy sunscreen when I get there because I don't want it to ooze out all over my stuff but I think I've got everything else on my list.  I also need to fall asleep this instant.  My alarm will ring early early early.



I was less than thrilled to see that the snow removal guy in the parking lot behind the fence piled the snow off the side of the lot and it cascaded down over the retaining wall.  That snow better not have knocked down any of the blocks but I won't find that out until spring.  It was sunny all day which made the new snow sparkle like it had glitter in it.  Pretty.




Once I was satisfied that I had all my travel things in order (confirmation, boarding passes, bag fee, Uber scheduled) I sat down to finish that cast sock I knit out of yarn scraps.  I like the way it turned out.  I suspect that I lost count of the rounds of the toe decreases so it might be a little longer than normal but, since feet come in all sizes, it'll fit someone.




10 February--Barbara Malcolm, Three Cheers for Murder.

It was nearly 6 PM Saturday, June 12.  The sun was still very high in the sky and business had effectively stopped for the day.  Cecilia’s head was bent over her work.  She was standing behind the counter of The Alchemists, making up an order for the raw ingredients and containers for her products, shaking her head over how much she’d used up in a short time.  She thought to herself that she wished her bank balance reflected her expenses.  Cecilia looked out the front display window of the store to see Marlene Brownloe crossing the street toward her.  She smiled as Marlene entered.
“I’m sure glad this week is over,” she said tiredly to Marlene.  “What with the murder on Monday, and all its attendant upheaval, I’m just happy to have survived the week.”
“What do you mean, survived?” Marlene asked.
“Oh, not literally.  But Kimmy Neal stopped in the other afternoon and when I mentioned Tiffy’s murder she just broke down.  Luckily no one came in while she was here.  It took a while for her to regain control.  I’m sure she didn’t know what she was saying part of the time.  And dinner with Alan was interesting.  Everyone in the restaurant, at least those I could overhear, were going on about the violent aspects of the murder.  I tried to get some info from Alan, but he wasn’t very helpful.  He did take me to Blossoms with him to meet that Lt. Graybow, but they just talked police talk and ignored me.  Then, you’ll never believe this, Alan grabbed my arm and made some chauvinistic remark about getting the little lady home and marched me out of the place.  I ask you!  Little lady, indeed!  I’ve got half a mind to quit answering his phone calls.”
“Cecilia, you don’t really mean that.  I think that it’s sweet that he wants to protect you.  What if there’s some homicidal maniac stalking women around here?  Wouldn’t you be glad of Det. Archibald’s protection then?”
“I guess so.  But it really made me mad for him to treat me like I was unable to stay out past ten o’clock.  Like I had some sort of curfew.”  Cecilia frowned, sighed, and crossed her arms.  “I guess it was sort of endearing and sweet.  Wanting to get me out of there.  I suppose he just wanted to get on with our date, but I have to confess I was so angry I just brushed him off when we got to my house.  Oh, hell, I blew that opportunity, didn’t I?”
Marlene laughed with her friend.  “I don’t think you have to worry about getting another opportunity.  Det. Alan Archibald seems like the persistent type.”
“Let me lock the front door and pull the shades and we can go in the back room.  I’ve got some washing up to do and we can try some new fruit juice I concocted.”


I'm not taking my computer along so this is the last blog post for a week.  I'll be thinking of you while I'm basking in the sun and I'll try to cram some sunshine and warmth into my suitcase to bring home for you all.  Don't miss me too much.  (sorry, that was mean, I'll miss our daily visits)
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Just in case you pull this up, I know you're in the air as I type. Yay!! No snow delay this year. Our weatherman just reported a record high for us yesterday -- 89! You'll need that sunscreen. See you in a couple of hours.